new member please C&C car pic

demarsjcd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
mustang027.jpg

Thanks! :)

Since I drive a Mustang I have to comment.

Nice try. However, I think you should try again. Point the wheels at the camera, use a lens hood to prevent the lens flare and maybe do it in a darker spot so there is more background visible.

Also, the image is tilted which you can fix in Photoshop by rotating but if you're taking a 30 second exposure on a tripod you should take a second to level it out first. If you didn't use a tripod and had the camera resting on something, go get one, especially if you plan on doing any more long exposures. I have a cheap on that sits in my passenger seat, even though I barely use it, at least it's there if I need it.

Since I drive a Mustang I have to comment.

Nice try. However, I think you should try again. Point the wheels at the camera, use a lens hood to prevent the lens flare and maybe do it in a darker spot so there is more background visible.

Also, the image is tilted which you can fix in Photoshop by rotating but if you're taking a 30 second exposure on a tripod you should take a second to level it out first. If you didn't use a tripod and had the camera resting on something, go get one, especially if you plan on doing any more long exposures. I have a cheap on that sits in my passenger seat, even though I barely use it, at least it's there if I need it.
thanks for the quick response. looks like ill be using this forum more often :mrgreen:. I was using a tripod and I'll pay attention the levelers more often. I also do have a lens hood which I'll use again. I'll try a darker spot too. anything els eI could do? heres the specs:

File Size: 46 kb - 639 x 426
Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
Date/Time: 2010:03:21 00:59:34
Resolution: 639 x 426
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 18.0mm (35mm equivalent: 29mm...
CCD Width: 22.28mm
Exposure Time: 30.000 s
Aperture: f/22.0
ISO Equiv.: 100
Exposure Bias: 1.00
Whitebalance: Auto
Metering Mode: matrix
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)

BTW- What kind of mustang do you have?

I can't help but be distracted by the building in the back, protruding itself from the top of your car.
I keep finding myself looking at other things, not the car itself.

Increase the aperture to pretty much as big as you can get it -- Since the EXIF doesn't state the lens I'd guess around f/3.5 or f/4. Then you can drop your shutter speed to a much faster speed. No real reason to need a 30 second shutter speed on this as it actually could lower the quality. Otherwise, the first reply is correct

Since I love automotive photography, I'll chip in.

First, as said before, turn the front wheel more. I see you tried, but a bit more would give it a more dynamic look.

Second, if you're going to use a parking lamp as your lighting, don't include it in the photo. Portrait perspectives work well for automotive photography too, try that.

Third, when shooting in a parking lot with lines, try to put the car ON one of the lines, so as to hide it in the shot and not include the lines on either side. Be mindful of the reflections of the lines too, white lines aren't as bad as yellow lines, but they still suck. A long yellow line reflection running down the side of a car can ruin the shot, white isn't much better, but it's more subtle.

Fourth, GET DOWN LOWER. Kneel down, headlight level, or even lay down on the ground. This will give a more "heroic" look to the car.

Last, be mindful of the background. Things "growing" out of the car look goofy, i.e the white building you have growing out of the top. Try to find a wall, or something plain, to shoot against. It will accentuate the car even more.
(BTW, this can be fixed in PP too, if you're good with Photoshop or the equivalent program.)

Hope that helps!

FattyMcJ said it all well. To me the building and the light post were too distracting.

....-- Since the EXIF doesn't state the lens I'd guess around f/3.5 or f/4......

thanks for the quick response. looks like ill be using this forum more often :mrgreen:. I was using a tripod and I'll pay attention the levelers more often. I also do have a lens hood which I'll use again. I'll try a darker spot too. anything els eI could do? heres the specs:

File Size: 46 kb - 639 x 426
Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
Date/Time: 2010:03:21 00:59:34
Resolution: 639 x 426
Flash Used: No
CCD Width: 22.28mm
Exposure Time: 30.000 s
ISO Equiv.: 100
Exposure Bias: 1.00
Whitebalance: Auto
Metering Mode: matrix
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)

Is that what you were looking for? :confused:

To the OP:
Did you just walk up to the car, stand there on the corner and click? It kinda looks that way and it looks quite boring. The light pole on the left is superfluous, too much head room, not low enough to have the shadows play at part (and add some room to the bottom of the image) and not enough light on the front of the car. The lens flare is not your friend.

You got some good replies in here. Definitely try again, try to frame and showcase the car better, get it from a lower angle.

....-- Since the EXIF doesn't state the lens I'd guess around f/3.5 or f/4......

No I think he meant 'lens.'

Safe to assume 18-55 kit lens. Meaning his max aperture size guess would be about right.

I have a laser red 2000 GT with a girly auto trans.

Here's a snapshot I took of it: http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o397/rezmap83/HDRmustangnewwheels2.jpg

Last edited:
I reiterate .......
..... Since the EXIF doesn't state the lens I'd guess around f/3.5 or f/4. .....
Nothing to do with the lens, but the apeture.

Ok. Since you obviously don't like being corrected, let me do it again.

Increase the aperture to pretty much as big as you can get it -- Since the EXIF doesn't state the lens I'd guess around f/3.5 or f/4. Then you can drop your shutter speed to a much faster speed. No real reason to need a 30 second shutter speed on this as it actually could lower the quality. Otherwise, the first reply is correct

I'm not trying to engage in an internet pissing contest but I think you read it wrong.

:meh:

He's trying to say 'use a bigger aperture next time.'

Last edited:
Well, it's certainly possible that I was only falling foward and this is a Homer moment on my part
Homer.jpg

However, given the EXIF focal length to be 18mm, that tends to tell me it was a kit lens in use. Nothing wrong with that unless you know its limitations. Since the force of the Dark Side is with me, I can only go on the fact that the Nikkor kit lens is sharpest at ~f/8 and that an f-stop of f/3.5 or f/4 from that distance is unlikely to produce as sharp an overall image of the SUBJECT that f/8 would and will yield blur not far beyond the sideview mirrors. Granted that f/22 is that much on the other side.

Thanks for correcting my interpretation, but it doesn't change the fact that this is a sloppy effort. For a first-time-go-at-it, it may pass, but soon enough the OP will discover the other mentions of my first post have a semblance of validity.

Peace bro.....

the fact that the Nikkor kit lens is sharpest at ~f/8 and that an f-stop of f/3.5 or f/4 from that distance is unlikely to produce as sharp an overall image of the SUBJECT that f/8 would and will yield blur not far beyond the sideview mirrors. Granted that f/22 is that much on the other side.

That's good info btw. I've been learning about sharpness the hard way.

You got some good replies in here. Definitely try again, try to frame and showcase the car better, get it from a lower angle.

Safe to assume 18-55 kit lens. Meaning his max aperture size guess would be about right.

I have a laser red 2000 GT with a girly auto trans.

Here's a snapshot I took of it: http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o397/rezmap83/HDRmustangnewwheels2.jpg
cool bud. it is a 18-55 lens kit. i have another lens but its a cheap long distance one. next time i'll put the shutter speed up and increase the f

Most reactions

New Topics

Back