New member with Black and white pics

Discussion in 'The Black & White Gallery' started by TheBenzMan10, May 29, 2010.

1. TheBenzMan10

TheBenzMan10 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tomdinning

tomdinning TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nice effort.
    B&W dies require a different approach than colour. BAck in my early days there was little colour about and it was hard to process so B&W was the best option. Look for good contrast in the scene. Use the backs and whites to hide, accentuate, frame, isolate the subject of the image. Give your picture a good range of shades of grey (see Zone).
    I might suggest a few things about the images in general. Its nice tou are using forgraound but watch that it doesn't detract from the image. It still needs to be interesting. The shot with the building and the road for example. Yopu might have hung around and got someone crossing the road, especially coming in from the left.
    The chair on the porch is a nise focal point. Get in a bit closer and use the lines to draw the eye to it.
    Its a nice tree and sky. Make it the focus of the picture and get rid of the other stuff. Darkening the sky a shade and lifting the highlights in the tree help to dramatise the image a bit.
    Its OK to think the scene is interesating enough to photograph but it will then need to be translated for the viewer. They don't have what you have. They weren't there. Give them something that will take them there.
    Oh, and some stuff works better in colour.
    Best of.
    tom

3. TheBenzMan10

TheBenzMan10 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    When I was taking this picture I wanted the depth of the picture, but I'm gonna try that with my other photos

For this one I wanted to make the building seem like the big and bad building that it is

4. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    This first one has some potential as does one of the others. They aren't numbered though, the porch with the chair.

How are you getting from color to B&W? In the camera or in image editing software?

[​IMG]

5. mannytkd

mannytkd TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Useing the simple 'greyscale' tab does not work at all, hense why your images look so flat and lifeless, i don't mean that in a bad way though, it comes down to learning.

If i may i did do a simple tutorial that shows what the main colours look like when convertes to mono, though some of it a little wrong where i've added too many prime colours when there are only 3, red, green and blue. But my tutorial is aimed at showing what othe colours look like, i hoip it helps and explains a few things for you.

Tutorial

6. ernyy_nah

ernyy_nah TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    there is no such thing as art, get some practise, colours are too bright, bad angles, keep going!

7. Robin Usagani

Robin Usagani Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    With some cropping and editing, this one has potential.