New member with questions

davidgalou

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just found this site and I'm sure impressed with the quality of image posts. I'm looking for a new digital camera and hope I can get some help. I've been a long time SLR film photographer. For digital I have a Canon S60 which has been very serviceable, however I really miss manual lens focus. Is this only available in SLR's? Also I'm intrigued by the 10X etc optical zooms - how good is the image quality at full zoom? The S60 has given me great macros and I see that going macro with SLR's can be a big additional expense - any suggestions? Finally what is the advantage of going from 5 megapixels to 10 - is it only for printing or am I going to get a clearer image? I know this is a lot of questions - any help on any of them would be appreciated. Thank you.
David Galou

Depending on the SLR you have, The lenses might work on a DSLR of the same brand. You will not find MF on a P&S camera.

Also I'm intrigued by the 10X etc optical zooms - how good is the image quality at full zoom?
It only depends on the quality of the lens. Different lenses will give you very different results. Decide on camera brand and do some research before you buy. If you are SLR user as you mentioned and have some collection of lenses, really consider going for the same brand digital SLR. Don't step down to P&S camera.

Finally what is the advantage of going from 5 megapixels to 10 - is it only for printing or am I going to get a clearer image?
Your image resolution will double, you can print 2x the size of the photos you could have with 5 MP without quality loss, you can make smaller crops which is very handy. And yes, generally your camera will record more detail. Filesize will be bigger though.

The S60 has given me great macros and I see that going macro with SLR's can be a big additional expense - any suggestions?
There are cheaper macro lenses on the market or even cheaper alternative is to use extension tubes or rings on your existing lens.

Also I'm intrigued by the 10X etc optical zooms - how good is the image quality at full zoom?
The bigger the range of the zoom lens...the more of a compromise was made in the design. Personally, I use DSLR cameras with goo quality lenses...and I'm sure the quality of most 10x lenses would be very disappointing to me. It may not be to you though.

Finally what is the advantage of going from 5 megapixels to 10 - is it only for printing or am I going to get a clearer image?
More is usually better. It give more room for cropping and more pixels for printing. On camera with smaller sensors...it can mean more noise at high ISO though.

The S60 has given me great macros and I see that going macro with SLR's can be a big additional expense - any suggestions?
As mentioned, there are several alternatives for getting macro shots with an SLR.

Thanks to MikeR, peppies and Big Mike for the replies and good info. I'm going to start by going to a basic SLR, maybe the Rebel or DX40. Unfortunately my old Canon A1 lenses won't work with any digital Canon SLR or so I've been advised at the photo counter. Cheers.
David

Hi David, look into Pentax or Nikon, their manual film lenses will work on their Digital cameras (tough but doable on the D40).

luck

mike

Mike is correct, the D40 lacks a few features that if you are "into" photography, you will miss/need. For about the same price, I would pick up a good used D1X. I have three, and it is a very rugged, moisture sealed and capable body. The first I paid $4675.00 for in 2002. The second - $900 and the last $500.00. It is Nikon's last generation professional body made untill the D2X was introduced. Not only is pixel count worth noting, but pixel quality is important. With good glass, the D1X at only 5.47 MP, (10+ in RAW) is capable of good size enlargments. I have enlarged a full frame RAW files to 36 X 54" with increadble detail and rich color. Another reason I mention this, older 55mm Nikon Macro (Micro as Nikon calls them) f/2.8 can be had rather cheaply. This lens will fit and meter on any D1 or D2 series bodies. A few other as well, I think the D200. This is an inexpensive way to get good glass and a capable camera without spending a mega-fortune. The D1/D2 series can use any lens Nikon has made since the 1970's. They has a few limitations with early "F" series lenses, although most will mount.

Most reactions

Back