New Mode - First shots with my D50

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by RMThompson, Apr 29, 2007.

1. RMThompson

RMThompson the TPF moderators rock my world!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I worked with a model I found on www.modelmayhem.com today! I also used my D50 for the first time for a "pro" shoot, and it went great.

The 50mm 1.8 lens is freaking amazing, even if I need to back up like you wouldn't believe.

Anyway C&C would be grrrrreat!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

www.rmtimages.com/joanna <- MORE HERE

C&C PLEEEEEEEASE!

2. oldnavy170

oldnavy170 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I checked out that site you posted. Are they only nude models? Just curious because thats about all I seen.

My favorite shot is the one with her and the red dress.

3. RMThompson

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No there are all kinds of models, in fact tons of girls say no nudes.

4. RMThompson

Photos NOT OK to edit
    And that's not a dress... its just red material!

5. oCyrus55

oCyrus55 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like the 4th one, you got some good color. The thing I don't like though is that a lot of the photos were taken in direct sunlight or harsh lighting, which is not really that flattering. I would try to avoid that harsh light.

I'm a member on ModelMayhem aswell. There are a lot of people who do nudes, but there are a lot who don't. So far I am glad that I joined MM.

Thompson, send me a friend request. Search for "Sean Lojek"

6. RMThompson

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sean, Ill look for you!!!!

However, take a look at the website: www.rmtimages.com/joanna , not all of them had that harsh lighting.

7. oCyrus55

oCyrus55 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeh, I definitely like some of the ones you have on the site better than some of the ones you posted

8. RMThompson

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Which do you like on the site better, so I can add them to the flickr... I want my BEST work on the flickr site, since that is where I send some of my clients.

Anyone else:

www.rmtimages.com/joanna

(LINK NOT SAFE FOR WORK)

9. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ryan
    A few comments.

No1 - Harsh lighting, hair over the face and the central composition don't work for me.

No2 - Might be better as a B&W. Not sure I like the crop? Something just not right and I can't put my finger on it.

No3 - Nice smile and she is a stunning girl however the central composition again doesn't work.

No4 - I like the pose but the subject is just too close to the top (her head) and bottom (her finger). I like to see just a little room.

No5 - Again the harsh lighting is the dominant feature here and it looks a little over processed.

No6 - Ii like the pose on this one however that hard shadow under the chin detracts from it. The light was just too strong I think. In the shade with a reflector to direct the light would have made a big difference.

No7 - you know what I'm going to say :) Nice but harsh light again detracts.

No8 - Isn't too bad however there's no detail in the hair and the shadow along her chin is not flattering.

No9 - the subject needs to be separated from the backdrop. Her dark hair just blends in.

No10 - I won't repeat myself but you know what I'd say. She looks a little uncomfortable.

N011 - Not keen on this. Not enough light on the backdrop and harsh shadows.

No12 - Like the red material although it does look a little oversaturated. The image shows her as a beautiful woman however you need some sort of hair light to provide separation from the backdrop.

No13 - I actually quite like this one :) however i'd have liked it if she was more engaged with her subject (the guitar).

No14 - The shadow on her leg detracts and the central composition doesn't work for me.

Sorry I seem to have not commented well on these.

Regards
    Jim

No14 -

10. RMThompson

Photos NOT OK to edit
  11. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ryan
    I know I was tough but I was trying to get you to see what I see as wrong with the images. Others may disagree but from getting a lot of critique myself I've started to see more of what is looked for in an image. There's a few that I like on the web site but 119 is a lot to l,ook at!

I like the red image above. Really nice but do you see what I mean about no separation from the background? Same with the one with the guitar......

Without going over all 119 images here's a few comments....

Best not to shoot in bright sunlight. Find shade and use a reflector or use fill flash.

Watch your histogram. Clipped highlights and shadows are bad. As are gaps left and/or right.

Look at the images by the tree.... Some of these show under exposure (gap on the right).

Back lighting is causing the face in a few to become underexposed. You need to add some exposure comp when dealing with this or again use flash or a reflector to put some light into the subjects face.

Some of the B&W conversions lack contrast.

Your black background images are nice (apart from the separation issue - a hair light would sort this) but the shadows on the white backgrounds bother me.

Please note I'm not saying they are all bad. I think they could mostly be improved but just things to watch out for.

Hope you see what I say and again, a beautiful girl...... I'm jealous!

Cheers
    Jim

12. RMThompson

Photos NOT OK to edit
    anyone else?