New model pics.... help pick the best?

RMThompson

the TPF moderators rock my world!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just some new model pics. Probably too many to present, but wanted help picking the best. Some of them are overprocessed, admittedly, but the model wanted me to try some different things!

Also, the expressions are the SAME in most of these because the goal is to have ONE good solid image. Let me know what you think that image is?

DSC_0752.JPG

DSC_0766.JPG

DSC_0767.JPG

DSC_0814.JPG

DSC_0818c.jpg

DSC_0774.JPG

These are some pics I made to try and look like movie stills... does it achieve that effect?

DSC_0762_MOVIE.JPG

DSC_0764_MOVIE.JPG

DSC_0795_MOVIE.JPG

Numbers 1 and 7 work he best for me. Those have nothing infront of her face, and her eyes are visible. I like the composition of both. Only thing is that her hands look a bit hard in 1.

Lovely images though - very dreamy.

#7 Not crazy about the dress but in this one the surrounding tones work with it quite well. And, yes, you can see her face and she has a nicer expression.

Can't offer too much on the technical side since i'm new to this all, but I also like 7 the best. 2 draws me in a bit, but i'm not sure about the way she's lifting the dress up. I think her expression would have held it's own without quite so much leg in the shot, but again that's just my opinion.

I can find faults with ALL of the images, either on the part of the model, or the composition or processing, or a combination of both. But of all the images presented, the cross-processed look you show in image #4 looks to me the most like a professionally-done fashion photograph. I'm not a big fan of the cross-processed type of look, but in image #4, you pull off a prety good shot in that style.

The movie still look doesn't work for me.

i like 7 for the lighting, color tone, and her expression. others don't do much for me

Well I like #1, cool ;)

i shall put my thumb on 1st and 6th...i liked her laughing expression, but her skin tone is a little bit odd....in others she seems to be stiff rather than cool.

7 works for me as a movie still. However, somethings very off. It looks over-sharpened to my eye. And there's visible aliasing that just makes it look...wrong. Either you need to fix something in post, or you need to downsample the image better.

Otherwise I agree with Derrel (count on Derrel to tear-into your images with some honesty; gotta love it! :D ).

It all depends on what that one strong shot is meant to sell.

Is she selling herself as a model for

Fashion
Glamour
Catalog
Print
Lifestyle Stock

Or is she an actress wishing to secure roles as

The glamor girl
The Girl Next Door
The serious *****
The playful blond

In todays modeling and acting industry it is difficult to have a single image that defines a model. That is why models use Zed Cards plus maintain a portfolio of many different styles of shots. The zed will give a potential casting agent a look at the model in 4-5 different looks on a single 51/2x81/2" card.

For actors they can get by with a basic head shot that shows them in a clean, casual and natural look. To learn more about the range an actor has agents will look at reels and have them read for parts.

In either case the primary head shot should show the model / actor as they truly appear. The quickest way for a model to loose a job is to submit a head shot or zed where the main image is over processed and then have them show up and not look like the picture.

So save the more artistic representations of her for the deeper pages of her portfolio and use a nice clean and natural beauty shot for that main solid image that is going to be the agents first impression.

Well what I would do if the case is to get one Image and process it however many different ways rather then process 10 images 10 different ways. It would just make it easier for me to choose from. :D

But to answer your question I'll go with #1 and #8 as far as the processing is concern and #7 as far as composition...lol see what I mean?

Fashion
Glamour
Catalog
Print
Lifestyle Stock

The glamor girl
The Girl Next Door
The serious *****
The playful blond

In todays modeling and acting industry it is difficult to have a single image that defines a model. That is why models use Zed Cards plus maintain a portfolio of many different styles of shots. The zed will give a potential casting agent a look at the model in 4-5 different looks on a single 51/2x81/2" card.

For actors they can get by with a basic head shot that shows them in a clean, casual and natural look. To learn more about the range an actor has agents will look at reels and have them read for parts.

In either case the primary head shot should show the model / actor as they truly appear. The quickest way for a model to loose a job is to submit a head shot or zed where the main image is over processed and then have them show up and not look like the picture.

So save the more artistic representations of her for the deeper pages of her portfolio and use a nice clean and natural beauty shot for that main solid image that is going to be the agents first impression.

None of these were intended to be headshots or anything of the sort. Just simple photographs for her to use. If she decides to use one or two in her portfolio, that's fine with me, but I was not hired for that reason.

If anything we were just going for a simple artistic picture.

7 works for me as a movie still. However, somethings very off. It looks over-sharpened to my eye. And there's visible aliasing that just makes it look...wrong. Either you need to fix something in post, or you need to downsample the image better.

Otherwise I agree with Derrel (count on Derrel to tear-into your images with some honesty; gotta love it! :D ).

#7 was processed with some extra grain that gives the edges a bit of an unreal look. Wrong wasn't what we were going for, but I see what you think.

man she is freakin cute! #1 is my overall vote, for what it sounds like your going for.

Fashion
Glamour
Catalog
Print
Lifestyle Stock

The glamor girl
The Girl Next Door
The serious *****
The playful blond

None of these were intended to be headshots or anything of the sort. Just simple photographs for her to use. If she decides to use one or two in her portfolio, that's fine with me, but I was not hired for that reason.

If anything we were just going for a simple artistic picture.

Well then I suppose I misunderstood the meaning of this statement.
As it lead me to believe you were looking for one strong image for her to use to make her stand out. My bad carry on, take what you can use and leave the rest.

"Also, the expressions are the SAME in most of these because the goal is to have ONE good solid image. Let me know what you think that image is?"

Most reactions

Back