New Monitor- does this look right?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by uplander, Jan 3, 2010.

1. uplander

uplander TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I got a new Dell 2209WA and hooked it up. Right away it seemed dark at the factory defaults of 75 & 75 for B & C. I hooked it up to my laptop so I could see SxS comparision. The laptop screen was way brighter and less contrasty and the new monitor all the shadows were very dark with no definition.

I turned the laptop screen away and edited some pics so they looked fine on the new monitor. When I veiw them later (on two different screens) they looked blown out.

How do they appear you on your screen?

Is my new Monitor defective? or what?

Pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Double H

Double H TPF Noob!

Around the corner from the Turkey Hill, PA
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    You need to calibrate your new monitor using a colorimeter to be sure that what you see on your monitor is "correct." It's all about color profiling. The images don't look too bad other than blown out sky and snow, white balance looks decent

3. Shockey

Shockey TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hard to tell on these. The first two backlit pictures look.....backlit....with associated lack of contrast.
    The snow looks blown in the top one but not in the second.
    The last one with front light looks pretty normal, the snow looks blown.
    Post a well exposed photo of a person, that is the easiest type of photo to tell from.

4. STOFFEL

STOFFEL TPF Noob!

Well while that looks like an absolutely great deal I think 120hz for TVs differs for 120hz on desktop monitors. Very nice deal there though I am sure that is a great display.

5. itznfb

itznfb TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Dell monitors need to be calibrated... period.
    Their eIPS panels are not back-lit either so they do seem a bit dark.

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    As mentioned, you need to calibrate. And to do that properly, you need a hardware calibration device like the Spyder.

Without proper calibration, how do you even know that either of your screens is accurate? You could go back and forth between them all day and still not get it right.

b.t.w. It's hard to calibrate a laptop screen (not very accurate) especially if you are using it in different locations.

7. margadigi27

margadigi27 TPF Noob!

Wow not bad at all. Maybe the pictures would look different with other brands of monitor.:thumbup:

8. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The one at my work looks perfectly fine straight out of the box. Also you'd re-think your wording if you ever tried to read a screen with a failed backlight ;)

That is exactly what you don't want. And calibration as mentioned several times is the key.

Understatement. Completely ignoring panel technology for a moment the processing on TVs is very different. Is black a value of 0 or a value of 16? Is white 255 or 239? Depends on the TV, depends on the inputs. Heck it depends on the video card too. My ATI card needed endless tweaking of settings to get it to play nice with my TV, whereas my NVIDIA card seems to correctly send the 16-239 range out.

In my experience a desktop monitor is nearly always darker than a laptop monitor (there are exceptions though this is not a rule). Simple reason is that desktops are for indoor use, laptops need a powerful and very adjustable blacklight to cope with many variances in conditions.

Ignore the brightness issue. Turn down your room lights will fix that one quite easily. Use some reference images like this site here: LCD monitor test images to check how your screen is going in contrast / white and black reproduction / viewing angle / gamma / etc.

9. itznfb

itznfb TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've never taken apart a 2209 but I've taken apart to repair several 2007wfp and 2009wfp's which have the same construction and CCFL "back-light". They are two light tubes reflected to bounce light onto the screen. There is no true back-light being projected from the rear of the panel. Which is why they are more dim than other LCDs. They use bargain bin parts from random vendors. That's why they couldn't use a custom fitted back-light.

I setup 15 of these 2209's and calibrated them all for our graphics guys and none of them were even close to accurate out of the box. Either were any of my previous 10 or so UltraSharp monitors.

Aside from a $5000 eizo I've never seen a calibrated monitor out of the box. If yours has accurate colors out of the box I'd say you just lucked out.

I still think the Dell UltraSharps are the best bang for your buck editing monitors. Don't want anyone to think I'm saying they are bad. Just don't trust them until it's hardware calibrated.

10. chip

chip TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    LCD monitors are extremely directional. The angle at which you are viewing the monitor makes a huge difference! This is a negative feature of the LCD. I have never had this problem with CRT monitors. I mean even after you have calibrated your monitor you still have to look at it at the proper angle to get the picture right.

But your pictures do look washed out (too bright) and low contrast on #1 and 2. #3 looks different - higher contrast, too high.

11. itznfb

itznfb TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's the point of VA and IPS panels though. Everything should be consistent at 178/178

12. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Mine too. Didn't have to adjust anything, out of the box.