New Nikon DSLR models?

DocFrankenstein said:
Pulease... 20D

D70 DSLR of the year? You read it on a box somewhere? :er:

Just by the fact that dpreview.com compares the D70 to the 20D should suffice...

Do me a favor. Type in "dlsr of the year" in the search field of Google, Yahoo, MSN, AOL, etc... and let me know what you get. Thanks.

hobbes28 said:
Do me a favor. Type in "dlsr of the year" in the search field of Google, Yahoo, MSN, AOL, etc... and let me know what you get. Thanks.
Yeah... I did google...

First 5 pages give no mention of D70

On the sixth page it links to your post :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

I'll try yahoo and msn when I can stop laughing :mrgreen:

chbar said:

I was saving that one...thanks. :D There are more though...

http://www.nikonusa.com/fileuploads/pdfs/awards_pdfs/d70_award.pdf

Here's what it looks like to do a specific search

http://www.shutterbug.net/news/042205canond70/index.html <-even though they call it a canon :lmao:

So I could sit here and show you that the D70 is in fact the DSLR of the year for 2004 or you can just take the fact that I don't pull this stuff from where the sun doesn't shine like some people do.

Sorry works good...I was wrong would be even better. :D

I hear what you're saying there and what it sounds like to me is "Waaaaaaaaaaaahhhh, I can't find anything to back up what I'm saying so I'll try to talk myself in circles....waaaaaaaahhhhh!!!" :lmao:

Tis true...

D70... why that cam? Something wrong... I smell a conspiracy... or a bribe or something... ;)

But seriously, why not 20D? Better low light performance, better AF...

OKay..now that that's out of the way.. :D You'll notice that I come from a Canon/Nikon family so I like both of the manufacturers equally. The 20D is a super camera and I could go on all day about the wonderful things that Canon has done with the 20D as well as every camera that they produce. The point of my comment was that the D70 is an awesome camera too (being that it is a Nikon thread) and that it is being put up against everything short of the professional line on Canon cameras. Partly because Canon has so many different levels of camera and Nikon just went with a flagship and a few others. It's all about marketing and Nikon sorta looked stupid for their methods but in hindsite, they didn't do bad at all.

So, not to fuel the debate, but, the 20d is faster, and has less noise than the d70. The only reason to buy a rebel xt over a d70 (not counting already haveing lenses/other accessories) is mirror lockup, which is mysteriously missing from the d70. The d70 does 3 fps for 117 frams, the xt does 3 fps for a whopping 14 frames.

The reason to buy a d70 over a 20d is simply price. The 20d is a superior camera to the d70. A d70 is a better value to a first time dslr user because to get a 20d and a good lense you are looking at &1650 minimum. To get a d70 outfit that comes with an excelent 18-70 f/3.5-4.5G ED IF AF-S you are looking at &1100.

Now being a FIRST TIME SLR user, you have to factor in not only optics like I already have, a minimum of $240 (160 legs + 80 head) for a nice tripod. Factor in about $380 for something like a gitzo mountaineer, or a manfrotto mountaineer + 80 dollars for a magnesium ballhead that is light enough that a n00b will carry it with him/her.

you walk w/ a 20d for:
w/ nice tripod: about 1820
w/ nice light tripod: about 2050

d70:
w/ nice pod: about 1320
w/ nice light pd: about 1550

clearly the d70 is a better value, BUT the 20d is 8 mp, Most people have heard me rant about the difference between 6 and 8 mp being absolutly nothing to influence your decision. I still beleive that, but you do have a slightly better cropping ability w/ 8 mp as opposed to 6. The 20d is also 5 fps, has lower noise than the d70 (noise on 20d @ iso 800 ~ noise on d70 @ iso 400). It also has iso 100 and 3200, which the d70 does not.

as for whether or not the d200 will be comparable to the 30d (if they decide to stick to their naming convention).
OF COURSE IT WILL. every camera is designed to be competative with the other cameras in it's class, whether or not it's one companies 9th generation and another companies 2nd.

as far as the d70 being camera of the year, it was Popular photography's camera of the year for 2004

another reason why some might like nikon over canon is because it has a slightly larger sensor (crop factor on nikon is 1.5 while on canon it is 1.6)

but seriously though, why go 20d? Why not go for, say, the d2x? or the 1ds Mark II ?

:D

Hey?

When is this 30d Comming out?

I dont want to spend 6 months saving up money to buy the 20d and then this 30d comes out a couple months later. This is like a year or so off right?

You're guess is as good as mine....but....if you play that game, you'll never buy anything! ;) There will always be the next best thing out there on the horizon. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back