New Nikon lens 105mm f1.4

big thumbs up.

Yes thats obviously a portrait lens.

OMG i've died and gone to heaven...

Yes thats obviously a portrait lens.

obviously....

but given the vast range of focal lengths used for "portraits"....
pretty much any prime lens from 35mm to 200mm could theoretically be called a "portrait lens".
wider too if you start counting group portraits. so...what? all prime lenses under 300mm are portrait lenses?
(cue the person that shot a portrait with their 400mm lens)

obviously a portrait lens indeed.

Got an interesting question

For photographers who do mostly portrait work, if you can choose between the Nikon 85mm 1.4G and this new 105mm 1.4E which one would you choose and why ?
Both expensive and price difference between the two isn't huge.

For photographers who do mostly portrait work, if you can choose between the Nikon 85mm 1.4G and this new 105mm 1.4E which one would you choose and why ?

for me, its the 85mm first. just for the slightly better space requirement.
i dont think its a huge difference, but its something.
this is assuming a FX camera.
honestly, i dont think you are going to see much of a performance difference, or picture difference when its all said and done...its more going to be what focal length you prefer.

I'm still using the 85mm 1.4AF-D (and will continue to use until it crumbles to dust in fingers. I LOVE that lens). I'm sure the 'G' version is ever so slightly better, but I like what I have. As far as buying the 105? I doubt it. There are so many other things that would be a more beneficial use of $2000+ for me. If I won the lottery? Sure... if someone gave it to me, I'd use it, and I definitely want it, but unless it's amazing beyond words compared to my 85 1.4 AF-D (and that's a pretty tall order), I doubt I will be adding it to my stable any time soon.

The difference in angle of view isn't that great either. Back in the day I used the 85 f1.8 and the 180 f2.8 for the short to medium telephoto requirements. I did have a 105 f2.5 but rarely carried it. For facial or torso portraits I would prefer the 180 personally because it allows backing up further to foreshorten the perspective. The 85 would be great for full figure portraits. I rarely did fashion shoots but, when I did, I often moved way back and used a 300 f2.8 for even greater foreshortening. Even though the 105 f2.5 was a spectacular performer so were the other two telephotos.

This is probably a terrific new lens. No doubt it will perform well. I think I could have the 85 and 180 for about the same price and I would go that way.

IF they could make autofocusing lenses, they'd probably have a much greater foothold in the market.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back