New Nikons!

Never say never but there is no way I'm giving up my D200. Not even if I have the cash to pay for a D3. It's just too good a camera to let go and unless someone has 2 or 3 extras they're not going to either. On a hopeful note for those of you who are thinking about a used one, The 200's shutter is rated at 150k too so no matter how much it's been used you are likely to still get a good camera (and a new shutter isn't that pricey).

mike

The D300 seems a nice camera and an improvement over the D200, but not necessarily worth the upgrade unless you really feel something is missing in the D200.

The D3 however would be my first choice if I was a Nikonian and I would quickly upgrade even if I had to sell my car for it ;)

Really looking forward to Canon's answer to this in the 1Ds and the 5D range next year.

Glad to see that Nikon did not give up on 35mm sensors :) The market needs competition!

Boy am I glad that I did not switch to Canon. This really solidifies my reason for going with Nikon.

If I was on the market for a digital camera (and very rich) I would get the D3 with older prime Nikkor manual lenses (I have no need for hyperfast AF) or even better, some of those. The FF sensor is great news for people who kept their older Nikkor wide angle lenses such as the 24mm.

OK, I had just decided to buy 'the Beast' (28-70) and deal with the hugeness. Now they announce that the 24-70 will be the same 2.8 but smaller.

OK, now I'm back to waiting to see the new ones.

Well it is about time they updated the 24-70. And oh yeah I guess "live view" is the new trend first the 40D now the D300 and D3 but look at that monitor on the D300. I don't know if the D3 has a similar but that D300 one is huge. I seems like the companies have been listening more than we might think. I can remember a few at least recent discussions about live view and larger monitors.

My dad's going to be ecstatic. He became a Nikon shooter (D200) after I'd already started with Canon. He bemoaned the fact that Nikon didn't have any kind of full frame upgrade path. A fantastically spec'ed camera, though to be fair, it sits on the fence between Canon's 1D III and 1Ds III. It's built for speed, not resolution. Given Nikon's past history, a high resolution full frame would be forthcoming.

The D300 is 100% distilled sexy. Just my opinion. :)

...but I'm still saving $500 or more when I eventually grab that 40d . . .

Way to go Nikon...and this coming from a Canon shooter.

Competition can only make it better for us.

I'm surprised by the low pixelcount on the D3 - 12.1 Megalpixels.

The low pixel count makes sense when you look at where it slots in the line-up. The D3 is the replacement for the D2H (high-speed) used for sports photographer, and the competition for the 1D. The D3x, which will compete with the 1Ds, will be out in a few months.

Even at 12mp, it will max out at 132mp/sec, which is astonishing.

Great time to be in the market for either a Canon or Nikon!

Keith

Well, luckily I was in the process of dumping a lot of old gear (computer and other) so I think if I add the D50 to the ebay list I'll come out with enough for that D300. Though I like th new lenses too.

mmm Nothing on the feature list of the D300 makes me really want to upgrade. Well the autofocus maybe. But the 12mpx is not THAT much larger than the 10, the CMOS sensor may be good though. Bigger screen, a few FPS more which I never use anyway.

I think the most important part about the D300 is the fact that the D200 will shortly be in the price range of more customers :D

a D300 would be a nice upgrade from a D70. Not only in the speed of operation, but (apparently) a rediculous LCD, better off camera i-TTL control, (apparently) better ISO control, and 12mp is a big jump from 6.

The ISO control on the D300 is really what i'm most interested in. It's got a ton of pixels packed into a small sensor, that equals more noise. I really wouldn't be surprised if it's as noisy as my D70 at ISO 1600.

Most reactions

Back