New Nikons!

The ISO control on the D300 is really what i'm most interested in. It's got a ton of pixels packed into a small sensor, that equals more noise. I really wouldn't be surprised if it's as noisy as my D70 at ISO 1600.

Completely new sensor and image processor, it should be better....

I hope it's better...

Gotta love the competition! :thumbup:

I want to see an ISO 25600 image!!

So I could not find this in the reviews is it still a Sony sensor?.

I'll be upgrading to the Canon 40D and eventually to a FF in 2 or so years. This impressive anouncement from Nikon will only benefit me when it's time to upgrade to that FF in the future. Keep up the competition Canon and Nikon!

I got a D80 in January and love it, but I don't like not being able to use older manual-focus lenses. I do almost solely manual focus, I should have thought about that a bit more before getting the D80. If I could nab $800 for my D80 body (in great, great shape), that'd be awesome. I do like the 18-135mm lens the D80 came with though, so I'd keep that. :] I'd sell it to get a D300 by the way, you can use manual-focus lenses with the D300 right?

The FX sensor is Nikon, the 12MP DX sensor in the D300 is Sony.

Or discontinued.

When the D2X came out, my 5K D1X sank in value like a rock. Did I cry, heck no. I just bought a couple more D1X's for $900 and $500. Cheap backup. Now that the D1 is 2 generations old, I might make the jump to the D3. After they have been out 6 to 9 months just to shake the bugs if any, out a little. Guess I need to start saving, huh?

check out the screens on those beasts 3 inches with VGA resolution thats crazy sharp

woot! D200 dirt cheap! might be upgrading sooner than I thought!
I'll definitely be upgrading sooner than i thought.

Phenomenal. Absolutely phenomenal.

I find it really very very interesting that nikon opted for a full frame sensor in the D3 considering how well established their DX lenses are...

just a side comment: don't like the designs at all. Nikon was always great designing their bodies. Things are going down, in my opinion. A shame... or not? since I don't plan to get into these, anyway

Well it does look like it is an exciting time for both Nikon and Canon users. I am not sure if the looooong stretch between new bodies is worth the wait or not but this time it seems like it was. I had actually planned to buy D200 sometime soon but I think that will be upgraded.

i was about ready to buy a D200 to upgrade from my D70s, but the D300 is definitely going to be my birthday present to myself this january. i'm dying to get that body. i'd like to have that 14-24/2.8 (even with the DX sensor it'd be a great range - 21-35) but i want to see some prices!

a D300 would be slick for class, but at the same time I want to do my assignments on film.

GAH! I'm so tempted to use student loan money for one of those things!

I think the most important part about the D300 is the fact that the D200 will shortly be in the price range of more customers :D

Quite so :mrgreen:

Those cameras though ... wow. Well done, Nikon. I was beginning to think that I'd only ever read rumours about their new line up. I'll use my trusty D70s until it wears out ... but it's nice to know what's on the market now :)

ISO25600?! That's insane. I find 1600 to be just a bit too noisy on mine, but I guess there's a ton of in camera processing and tweakery going on.

I shouldn't be reading this. I've got credit card bills to pay off :er:

Most reactions

Back