New OLD gear, and photo . . .

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Canon Fan, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Canon Fan

Canon Fan TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Finally got my AE-1 Black Body today. Wow! This thing is MINT! The guy I bought it from (for $55) really didn't know what he had. There is only one very small scratch on it. No rub marks or brassing anywhere what so ever. Absolutely no shutter squeak or abnormalities. Flawless operation and appearance of all controls and the foam is in pretty decent shape overall. The only problem is that I didn't learn until today that the lense I ordered for it (Canon 50mm f/1.8) doesn't work with the built in metering system because of some pin that gets pushed down by the back of the lens :cry: So I guess I'll have to take my DSLR along as a meter for now until I get a different lens or my 2x converter shows up. Oh well. Loaded with a spool of FUJI Reala 100 for the break-in this weekend. I'll have to post some when I get it all shot>developed>scanned (which could be awhile!). Man you just gotta love the sound from these old school cameras! I forgot what I was missing!

[​IMG]

2. Canon Fan

Canon Fan TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh ya, also my first pic with my new Canon 50mm f/1.8 MK1 Metal Mount on the 10D above :D

3. santino

santino TPF Noob!

you're one lucky guy!!!! it looks great and I'm sure it is :thumbsup:

4. Canon Fan

Canon Fan TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanx Santino I'm sure I'll love it!

BTW: ATTN MODS!!! I just realized I put this in the wrong section. Can you put it in the Gallery where I meant it to be??? Sorry and thanks in advance! :oops:

5. malachite

malachite Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

I'm going through the same thing with my FM2N. Scored a mint cond one on ebay awhile back to have something totally manual for the time exposure stuff I do. I've been using it more and more for just about everything only cuz it's more fun. Now I'm looking at filling up my lens collection a bit more for it and maybe 1 or 2 more bodies as well. The AF outfit does more but it just doesn't have the same feel. All them bells and whistles sometimes kinda take away from the personal experience of it all.

6. Walt

Walt TPF Noob!

First black AE! I've seen. Nice, very nice! :)

7. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Beautiful camera. There was a thread not to long ago about chrome vs black cameras. I think most of us said it's just cosmetics, but boy, there is something sexy about an all black camera. :wink:

Me too. I haven't enjoyed 35mm freedom from batteries like this since my K-1000!

8. DocFrankenstein

DocFrankenstein Clinically Insane?

Why would you buy a canon FD body + lens if you have a 10D already?

Why not go for something like rebel Ti or other AF body?

9. Floyd

Floyd TPF Noob!

Cartier bresson only shot with a little black leica because people were less likely to see/notice it Trent Parke my favourite photographer does the same.

10. Canon Fan

Canon Fan TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Heh, I started a whole other thread devoted to this very question. Old cameras are quite often built better than the new ones (no plastic on this camera) and they work just as good albeit a little more effort required. They are also cheaper (9 times out of 10) and are in abundance on the internet. Just because I have a digital and shoot mostly digital doesn't quench my thirst for film now and then. Simply put, if you started with digital you may never know the joys/heartbrakes of film but it is where I started so I will always have a soft spot for emulsion.

And old stuff is just cool 8)

Oh and I already do have a Canon Rebel 2000. It's just that the lense system for the FD cameras is WAY cheaper in terms of "Fast" glass. I can buy an entire collection of lenses for this camera for about the same price of one EF Canon L lense.