New old rookie has another question.... film type?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by jdmartin8, Jan 5, 2005.

1. jdmartin8

jdmartin8 TPF Noob!

First, I'm overwhelmed by all the folks who welcomed me to this forum. Thank you very much.... It's nice to feel like I belong....

As you probably know, I'm just getting started in photography, but I know that I want to concentrate my efforts on becoming a GOOD landscape photographer.

My question is, if I wanted to shoot B&W, would Ilford Pan F (ISO 50) be a good start? I've done B&W photography before, about 25 years ago when I was in the Navy. At that time I was using a Canon AT-1, and had learned how to use that manual camera pretty well. Now I am using a Pentax MX-50, and in the aperture priority mode.

I want to shoot some color shots as well, and it appears that the FujiFilm Superia and Superia Reala (ISO 100) might be good choices.

I just want some input on these questions from all the good folks here.

Thanks again for all the nice welcome messages....

Jim

2. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

mmm...pan f is indeed a great place to start. its a low iso, low grain black and white film that yields amazing contrast and shadow depth. make sure to have your tripod and you should be off to a good start!

also, if you are doing black and white landscapes, try using an orange or even a red filter. it ups the contrast and makes for neat artistic shots.

md

3. Tuna

Tuna Supermodel

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I shoot a lot of B&W film and Ilford is an excellent film. However, lately, I have been spoiled by Kodak T400CN film - great tonal range and sharpness. But the main thing I like about it is that you get great quality AND it is C-41 process so I can get it processed and back in about a half of an hour at my local minilab. I would definitely recommend trying a roll.

By the way, welcome to the forum!

Tuna

4. sbalsama

sbalsama TPF Noob!

Fuji Superia is some good stuff, I feel. I have a billion or so rolls of the 800 speed which is real nice, but I wouldn't use it for landscape for more obvious reasons. I also have a couple rolls of the 200 bouncing around which I enjoy using for "girlfriend in lush green settings" type of pictures. I would highly recommend the Superias for color negative.

Now, just as an aside, landscapes supposedly work great with slide films i.e. Velvia. I personally haven't used it, NEPA is a little dry looking this time of year, though I will be trying it for landscape shots before I goto Germany. Sorry I couldn't help more here.

Good Luck!

5. jdmartin8

jdmartin8 TPF Noob!

Thanks for the replies !! This place is absolutely fantastic.

Tuna, T400CN has been discontinued by Kodak, and is being replaced with BW400CN, also a C-41 process. However, it does not appear to be a DIRECT replacement, so I don't know. Maybe I'll just stay with the Ilford Pan F, and play around with different filter colors to see what happens.

Jim

6. rangefinder

rangefinder TPF Noob!

You might also check the Freestyle site (banner on this forum). You might be able to get Arista at a lower price and it is Ilford repackaged. When I was shooting medium format (6x7) that's all I used and got me great results.

Welcome to the forum.

7. Tuna

Tuna Supermodel

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, Jim, you are right. Sorry about that. I am still so used to saying "T400CN". I have a box of BW400CN in front of me as I type...I would still recommend you try it someday.

My latest post titled "Staying Straight" in the critique forum was taken with this film (though I've called it "T400CN" there as well...).

Tuna

8. spike5003

spike5003 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    try Kodak TMAX 100 its a small grain film and looks great for landscapes. Keep the aperature small and use a tripod and youll do fine.

9. Jamie R

Jamie R TPF Noob!

I'm sure I scribbled a list of film choices somewhere.

Oh here it is. Someone else asked the same question:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15644

BW400CN is like colour film rather than black and white film - well done if you can eek anything from it! I presume you're using Panalure to print? It's a nightmare for anyone trying to hand-print. Ilford XP2 or the Fuji C400N seems a bit easier for most DIY photographers maybe?

Thumbs up for Ilford Pan F+. Great favourite.

10. Tuna

Tuna Supermodel

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is true. If printing at a minilab, BW400CN prints best on color paper (which is in most minilab machines). It is not designed for standard B&W paper - as is the case with most, if not all, C-41 B&W film. As for printing from scanned-in files to a home photo printer, it has done fine on all papers I have used.

Tuna