new Olympus Micro 4/3rds announced.

usayit

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
North New Jersey, United States of America
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Interestingly, there's also an interview of Akira Watanabe (some Olympus manager) on DPreview about the micro 4/3rds lens pipeline. He does not go into specifics but suggests that they will listen to their customers and if they demand prime lenses, they will oblige.

.....l listen to their customers and if they demand prime lenses, they will oblige.....

It is nice that Olympus customers will have their attention BUT I think it is the wrong way about marketing the new system.

For the Canon EOS system, the selling point was the technology and availability of a wide range of lenses; more specifically very fast AF, USM, new optics, and later on IS. Remember, Canon's introduction of the EOS system meant that they were leaving many FD photographers behind and had to convince an entire market base that moving on to the EF system was worth the investment. At least for the higher end SLR market, people bought into a system with glass leading the way. They need to build a system of micro 4/3rds and sell the "system". If they plan on building and marketing a camera body + kit lens with the hope that it will drive a future system of lenses only after they hear back from customers, I think they will have a very difficult time and (being honest) they deserve to flop. It sends out a message that Olympus is not 100% dedicated to the new format.

On the other hand, this is a strange place they are carving out in the market. It is neither targeted towards the high end prosumer ("system buyers") nor the low end consumer ("camera buyers") market. Kinda someone looking for a little of both. It is a small market which only really has the Canon G10, Nikon P6000, Panasonic LX3, and the Panasonic G1. So no one really knows how the market will react.

Reading through the dpreview preview, the reservations I have is the display and AF system. They mentioned that Panasonic developed a new AF system that improved speed noticeably. This technology is only on the G1/G1H and not available on the E-P1. The panasonic also incorporates an eye-level viewfinder (electronic) and the E-P1 only has the main LCD liveview which dpreview did mention was a little disappointing (low res). For someone like me who intends on using the camera with legacy manual focus lenses, these lacking features are not desirable. I can't see myself manually focusing while holding a camera at arms length on a lower rez LCD screen.

Definitely will have to see what people say once they hit the market. Either way, I think it is a sharp product. If the AF/LCD live view screen continues to be an issue, I will probably jump on a used Panasonic G1 for 2/3rds the price.

I guess I don't see the point, but then I've never been accused of being hip. :) But I personally don't know what I would do with a slow focusing mini-SLR. It's not small enough to fit in a pocket and it uses different lenses than other 4/3 cameras on the market (although you can use them with an adapter... something I have no interest in).

It's small. But then so are other cameras that actually fit in your pocket. It's not like you would shoot a wedding or some other professional event with this little guy. I don't think I would even use it as a backup since it doesn't have a pentamirror. I don't really like shooting using a EVP or LCD.

Why bother having swappable lenses anyway? I can't see the soccer mom / college kid / hobbyist that would buy something like this really getting into collecting lenses for it. If there was an interest in such a thing, they would likely go with a D40 or Rebel, don't you think?

Ehh, that's probably why I'm not in product development... :D

I guess I don't see the point, but then I've never been accused of being hip. :) But I personally don't know what I would do with a slow focusing mini-SLR. It's not small enough to fit in a pocket and it uses different lenses than other 4/3 cameras on the market (although you can use them with an adapter... something I have no interest in).

I definitely could understand not seeing the point. I don't think the point was a mini-SLR with slow focusing.... I think the market, which might not appeal to all, is similar to the high end point and shoot in which the Nikon P6000, G10, and LX3 compete in. A couple years ago, this market all but died out with only Canon surviving with their G-series. Why? Many couldn't see the point. Expensive P&S cameras that have a price point of entry level DSLRs but are not as compact as their cheaper alternatives. I think the market finally figured it out and there is a growing market for these cameras. The G1 and E-P1 bring a high end P&S but with more flexibility and options for higher quality glass. There are many journalists and professional photographers using the G10...

The whole point of the E-P1 and the G1 is not to miniaturize the SLR. It is to move digital another step forward freeing it from the design limitations imposed by building on decades old film camera designs. Think about it. Do we really need that mirror box? Do we really need a physical shutter? In the world of electronics and technology, everything keeps getting smaller and more compact. Why are DSLRs still relatively large? Now I know many hate EVFs but that just indicates that EVF technologies are not up to par. Remember, there was a time people didn't like digital but that was just because it wasn't up to par ... yet. Technology will catch up. I know some like cameras to have a certain weight. Why not make them configurable? The camera itself is light weight but weights and various grips available to custom fit to the photographer. Much like competition rifles with custom stocks and weights. In a way RED is doing the same thing... completely custom camera without the necessity of building from pre-existing old/outdated designs.

Remember, there was a time that 35mm was scoffed as a "toy" and "amateur" format during a time when everyone shot large and medium format. Then wars broke out and the 35mm allowed journalists be in the action without being slowed down by the clumsy large and medium format.

I'm excited because regardless of the success or failure of these cameras, I think they will showcase what is possible in the future. I definitely wouldn't be surprised if wedding and professional photographers use cameras that borrow from the E-P1 and G1 design.

[...
The whole point of the E-P1 and the G1 is not to miniaturize the SLR. It is to move digital another step forward freeing it from the design limitations imposed by building on decades old film camera designs. ...

Dead on target.

The Olympus/Panasonic/Leica 4/3rds consortium has failed to make headway by directly competing against the two juggernauts, Canon and Nikon. The micro4/3rds initiative seems to me to be the perfect tack through the stormy seas, build something different to fit a niche instead of being a very minor player in the DSLR market. The micro4/3rds offerings fill a niche between the Super P&S models, the DSLR beasts, and the extremely expensive Leica M8.2.

I for one am geeked about this camera. I have been waiting for someone other than Leica to come out with an interchangeable lens compact. It is not meant to supplant the DSLR's, but would step in to cover those areas in which using said SLR is not desireable. I enjoy taking photos when I go to South Beach, clubs and bars and absolutely hate carrying around my 5D Mark II. I got a G10 to try and it is admirable, but the speed and quality is not there for me. Since a Leica M8 would set anyone back at least $5K and a 5D is not far behind with a lens, a sub-$1K compact that does not draw attention will flip the bill. Hopefully this camera will supply the quality because the compactness is most welcomed and this is the start of something great. Props to Olympus and Panasonic.

i commented on this camera in another thread. I have been waiting to see what they would release and the price points.

after looking at the camera first hand and making some test shots i may buy.

I have been looking at a g10 vs. the LX3 and i did look at the GH-1.

It is not the 4:3 ratio that perks my interest , rather than a high quality product with the size in the point and shoot range.
Lugging around a lot of heavy equipment can get tiresome, in more ways than one, and having a camera that i can put in my pocket and give me better results than a coolpix is terrific for my needs .

I hope this isn't another Sigma DP-1. There's a lot of cool small cameras on the market with great gimmicks which have failed to deliver. I need something smaller and compact and have been eyeing off a micro4/3rds since they started. Time will tell :)

garbz,
if you find something please post, as i am with you on this issue.

The 4/3rds isn't going to give us an electronic shutter for full frame cameras. Actually, Canon already did this with the 1D. It had an electronic shutter and a sync speed of 1/500. But it killed batteries and I'm sure there were other technological limitations that caused them to ditch it in later models. I would love to have an electronic shutter, but the 4/3rds doesn't go anywhere near providing a professional solution. Most P&S have electronic shutters... nothing new.

The lack of a pentamirror isn't new either. The EVF isn't new either... nor is using the LCD to align your shots.

About the only thing it does that current bodies in its class don't do is mount a removable lens. Again, I don't see the point in this given the market it targets.

The 1D has a physical shutter borrowed from the 1V.... with a 1/16000 max shutter. I was second guessing myself at first but that is what is stated on the specs sheet. I believe nikon has an SLR with an electronic shutter but I can't recall which one.

Nothing is "new" per say.. but the concept of bringing them into a SLR design that doesn't rely on decades old technology is definitely new. The excitement is driven by the fact that they are pushing the envelope. No one was putting R&D into autofocus technologies until Pentax released the ME-F. By all accounts the ME-F was a complete and utter flop BUT its legacy is that it drove others to push the AF technology. A realization that placed Minolta on the map with the first successful AF body; the maxxum 7000. All the points brought up are simply limitations of current design and technology. Someone has to take the first step to drive technology forward. I am hoping that the 4/3rds design concepts will bring some radical new designs in the near future regardless of the success or failure of the 4/3rds format.

Most current technologies that we take for granted today all started in the same manner.... many products first to feature these technologies were never considered an absolute success.

The 1D has a physical shutter borrowed from the 1V.... with a 1/16000 max shutter. I was second guessing myself at first but that is what is stated on the specs sheet. I believe nikon has an SLR with an electronic shutter but I can't recall which one.
According to Canon the 1D had an electronic shutter.

Canon Camera Museum | Camera Hall - Digital SLR

1dshutter.png

Nothing is "new" per say.. but the concept of bringing them into a SLR design that doesn't rely on decades old technology is definitely new.
I'm still missing what's new from this new camera. I'm probably just being dense, but can you highlight the "truly" new technologies that differ from other cameras on the market?

Most current technologies that we take for granted today all started in the same manner.... many products first to feature these technologies were never considered an absolute success.
I don't dispute that. I'm just trying to figure out what's so new and revolutionary about anything on this camera... something that isn't already on the market.

Most reactions

Back