New People & The Forums

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Inigo Montoya, May 4, 2009.

1. Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya TPF Noob!

Do you think New people are belittled when they post in the forums or is that false

2. Sherman Banks

Sherman Banks TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    False. What makes you even raise the question?

The only thing I think could be interpreted as belittlement is when somebody posts photos that need a lot of work and they get more critiques than compliments. Even then, most of us on that end appreciate the honest feedback we get because it's definitely easier to speak your opinion on the internet than it is in person. We're all here for the same reason: to improve our photography. This community makes a good effort to do just that, and I think it's a great tool to develop both your photog skills and also your analytical eye.

3. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You should end your sentences with proper punctuation, in this case I believe a period would suffice. JESH!

:)

Just kidding.

Seriously though, why do you think new people are belittled? Was someone snotty to you?

I've not been here all that long and I've found that the natives are pretty hospitable. That's not to say you won't butt heads with a few folks occasionally... that's the nature of internet forums. I think over all this place is far more forgiving and friendly towards noobs than most other forums I've been on over the years.

4. LarryD

LarryD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't know..... I haven't really seen that..

I think that your signature could raise issues with some members......:confused:

5. dcclark

dcclark TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I do see a lot of people answering newbie-type questions with very definite answers... by which I mean, very strong opinions. That can come across as being belittling (for example, "I'm looking at buying the Nikon 18-200" followed by a variety of VERY emphatic posts from people telling you how crappy it is -- many people take that sort of strong response as a negative reflection on themselves). Not to mention that, often, those very strong opinions are put forth as fact -- which can mislead newbies as well.

So, I think there is some room for interpretation, but I can see where this impression may have come from.

6. m66

m66 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I say bring on the critique as long as it's respectful. Please, tear my photo's apart in a constructive way. I encourage it. Hell, it's why I'm here!

PLEASE!

-m66

7. gravity0

gravity0 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

"You Suck Jacka$$!" :lol: :lmao:

8. DScience

DScience No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yea a little........but that's part of posting extremely noobish pics on a forum with many, many amazing photographers and artist; both professional and amateur's! I have only been shooting for a few weeks, and I post my pics here expecting to get flamed. It hurts a little, but you can't let other peoples opinion be your motivating factors to take pictures.

9. Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya TPF Noob!

No. not too much, I have seen it happen to other people though.

I never knew I could italicize a period by itself, interesting

10. SrBiscuit

SrBiscuit TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    post some pics and we'll tell you how bad they suck....then you can be the judge.:hug::

11. Ihasacamera

Ihasacamera TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm here to learn and improve and this cannot be achieved without some constructive criticism. I do believe, however, that many people would benefit from being told what they are doing correct as well as what they could improve. This perspective coming from years of critiquing the group sessions of therapy classmates :)

12. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I belittle everyone equally.