New phone recommendations?

Discussion in 'Cell Phone Cameras & Camera Phones' started by SquarePeg, Dec 31, 2015.

1. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Need to upgrade my phone in the next few months and I'm hoping to get something that makes a decent p&s for those times when I don't have my dslr with me. I currently have the Samsung Note 3 and while I love the phone, the camera is disappointing at best and I've missed some really great candids. I'm hesitant to drink the Apple Kool-Aid but my daughter does take some great shots with her iPhone - she's almost 13 so the camera gets a ton of use for Instagram and Snapchat.

My 1 requirement other than a decent camera is that the phone has to be one of the oversized models so that I can see it better.

Any recommendations? I've read a lot of the review sites already so no need to post links to those, I'm just looking for some personal experiences/recommendations. Thanks.

2. SnappingShark

SnappingShark Always learning. Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I'd go for the iPhone 6s plus.

Reasons: It gets all the latest software ASAP and you know everything's supported.

The camera's pretty good, and it makes a great point and shoot.

It means you can sync with your daughter's phone and steal her images and pretend they're yours :)

I use the iPhone 6 and couldn't be happier with it with both photography and productivity. Oh and it makes some phone calls, too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit
    She's very territorial about her photos so this cracked me up. She is always asking if I gave her photo credit if I post something she sent me on Facebook or Instagram.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JoeW

JoeW Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I second this recommendation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Light Guru

Light Guru Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Get an iPhone and some Moment Lenses to go with it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. cherylynne1

cherylynne1 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    There's always this crazy little invention:

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX100 First-impressions Review

In a few generations, that thing might be really cool. I've actually heard that a wedding photography one town over from me has four of them and sticks them in crazy places like on the alter or in a bridesmaid's bouquet to get shots during weddings that no other photographer can. But right now it's probably still too bulky and with too slow of a start-up time to be used for your purposes.

I'm pretty anti-Apple too (I say as I write this from my iPhone 6) but it's hard to escape. My biggest gripe is really the lack of removeable memory. But when my husband surprised me with the 6 he also got the one with 128 gb. I do recommend that...16 gb run out FAST. Especially if you have any videos.

The nice thing about Apple screens is that they are pretty well calibrated. You know, for a phone, anyway. Maybe a slight tendency toward yellowish-green, but mostly very good. My dad has the 6 plus and really likes it.

7. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The coolest phone to have these days is a Motorola StarTAC digital but the StarTAC doesn't have a camera.

8. 407370

407370 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I also have a Note 3. Whats wrong with the camera??
    moresky1.jpg
    path1.jpg
    2S_FINAL.jpg

I fear change so dont listen to me.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. jake337

jake337 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I have the Note 5 and love it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit
    It could be, and probably is, user error but I just never seem to get a good shot with it without multiple attempts, especially when people are involved. It's really inconsistent. Lots of blurry pics and under exposures. The flash either blows everyone out or doesn't fire at all. The camera takes what seems like forever to turn on and then turns itself off after 1 shot so I am constantly waiting for it to turn on/turn back on which is really annoying and many shots missed. I've tried resetting all the camera settings and have played around with them and I still can't get it to work well for me. It's a camera phone so I'm not looking for dslr quality but it's to the point where I rarely bother to use it.

11. sashbar

sashbar Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I recently got Samsung 6s, very good and quite a bargain now after the discount. Camera is good as well btw.

• Like Like x 1
  12. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit

I would suggest an updated Samsung. They've made a lot of improvements.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 has the third best smartphone camera according to DxOMark

I'm sure the iPhone camera is great, but I've of course seen plenty of crappy iPhone pictures. It's also hard to tell, because it's also rare to see an iPhone picture that hasn't been altered by one of the filter apps or lens kits that they sell (which are also sold for Android phones, bts.)

Apparently, there are also plans for a Galaxy Note 6 coming out later this year, which will include an even better camera.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1