New Photo Enthusiast Here

mrich82

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I figured I'd introduce myself a bit. My name is Mike and I live in Denver, CO. I am inexperienced in the photo world but have always enjoyed looking at great pictures and trying to take some of my own. I was always limited by the P&S cameras. I did a lot of research on here and other sites prior to making my recent purchase. I ended up going with the Nikon D80 with the 18-55 and 55-200 VR lenses from B&H Photo ($799).

I'll be taking a lot of pictures of my 4 year old daughter and newborn (arriving the end of Feb). I'm also interested in landscapes and city scenes. For now I am really open to all types of photography, kind of want to try a little of everything to see what I enjoy the most.

This new camera will probably go everywhere with me for the next few months just so I can learn and practice a bit. Right now I'm going through the manual to learn everything I can there... mostly sticking with the auto mode for now until I learn some of the other features. I did play around with the aperture and shutter priority modes a little and got some decent shots. Nothing I want to post here yet though.

There seems to be a great group of folks on here willing to help us newbies learn. I'm sure you will all see some post for C&C from me in the near future.

Cheers!
Mike

I would be wary of posting pictures of kids on the internet. Never know wha kind of people are on the internet

Hi Mike. What he says ^ is true. Stay off Auto mode. Other than that, welcome aboard.

Alright, I haven't been on auto all day! It is going to take some time to learn all these settings.. just to learn all the buttons will take a while, lol. I'm getting comfortable with the camera now so that's good. I can already tell that this is going to be an addicting hobby! Hopefully I can get the wifey involved too... so she'll understand why I want to buy new stuff, haha.

Hopefully I'll have some post-worthy photos by the end of the weekend so I can get some comments for all the experts on here.

Most reactions

Back