Photos OK to edit
DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0131.jpg

DSC_0406.jpg

DSC_0530.jpg

Any comments are welcome,
Thanks - Spencer

#1. Nothing really interesting about it. Decent sky color, but the building is underexposed...That's a hard one to figure out for beginners is balancing exposure between subjects and sky.

#2. Nice concept, just to much shadow on her. Natural light through windows can produce great shots, you just need your subject to be in the light.

#3. It's alright for what it is...just doesn't hold my attention subject wise.

#4. Best one of the series IMO. I like the conversion.

#5. This is a common attempt. Don't like the fact that I can see you in the reflection. I would try to find a unique item for the reflection, and crop it tight to the glasses to avoid the distractions of the carvings and all in the surface.

Keep practicing. And let us see what you come up with.

I agree with the above, however

#2 - Use some fill flash on your subject, brighten her up a bit and it's a great shot

#5 - Get out of the reflection and focus on the glasses not the ground underneath. The glasses are out of focus and the carvings are in focus. Makes it a little distracting and takes the emphasis away from what it seems you are trying to emphasise...the glasses.

Dido to all.

Number three however I do actually like, I'd be really curious to see the color version. number four is my favorite as well. Well composed and I like the idea.

#4 is great. The other pictures, I agree with the cc above.

#3 is my favorite by far. I really really like that shot. I think #2 had some great potential, but as everyone else said, your main subject is just too dark.

I like #3 alot, and to #4 it just looks a bit off-center. Otherwise I agree with C&C above.

i like #5 if your intetion is to seen on the glasses

Nice work so far. like your eye for patterns. You might start thinking more post work, I have found that you can do so much more with post production especially (much easier) with digital.
I cropped and balanced the portrait. The reason I cropped in where I did was in general you don't want to cut the picture off right at a joint (waist, knee, *ankle* etc.)
I think I see what you were going for, and image of a small person in a large place, this usually evokes feelings loneliness, independence, or smallness of subject .
You could really take this one step farther and go completely artsy-fartsy with softness, glow, and a dark vignette.

Link:
http://s451.photobucket.com/albums/qq235/zen_and_ink/?action=view&current=VIRTphoto.jpg

Last edited:
Number 2 has the potential to be the best there but the subject needs to be lit up a bit more, if you have the raw you can prob do this. I think it would look better in black and white too :)

Thanks guys for all of the comments. I am still an amateur photographer and I am still learning how to make the best of my subjects.

#1 and #3 are edited a lot but i don't think that I have enough experience yet to have the correct eye when I edit my pictures, I just edit them until I think they look good hah.:lol:

#2 I didn't edit at all, and i really like the natural way that the shadows are on the subject, but Zen and Ink your link didn't show the edited picture and I would like to see it if you edited it.

#4 I used for a photography class project for line, and i edited it to make it a lot darker then it originally was.

#5 I have this same shot but w/o me in it, if you want to critique that also that'd be great.

DSC_0531.jpg

Thanks for all the C&C guys, it is really helping me

Your second attempt at #5 is better, but it seems a bit OOF, seems like the focus is more on the table than the glasses which is what I assume you were wanting to focus.

#4 from the first set is my favorite and it appears others agree too.

Overall it looks like some really good beginner work, keep it up.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back