New photographer - feedback on photos wanted!

patrick.villanueva

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

Just started photographing in early January so still getting use to all terminology and information. But since starting, I've been trying to take pictures of anything and everything I think would serve as decent objects for my photos. Could you please take a look at my Flickr account and provide feedback? I welcome all feedback as this is the only way I'm going to learn!

As a note, I've been doing some minor editing in Gimp. I'm still learning on that platform as well so sorry if the editing on these photos are funky!

Thanks,
Patrick

You tend to favor a fairly warm white balance on most of your shots. In indoor lighting, most cameras tend to favor that warmer, more yellowish look. I personally do not like it much, but some people DO favor a warmer color in indoor lighting, and it seems that people in the UK tend to be mnor accepoting of yellowish indoor imnages than many North America people (maybe due to their mass media trends, which are similar).

I dunno...it is early days for you. You are doing okay so far.

I would get a photography book from the library. Not a website or YouTube visit, but an actual BOOK about photography. somenthing that has a framework it is built around. SOmething that was written, and edited, and published, and which was considered valuable enougnh for people to have payed $24.95 for. Not something free and 3 minutes on YouTube. Not some click-bait shortcut hack-filled web blog, but an actual book on some type of photographic method.

Photography is not about the modern "tips and tricks" stuff, but some basic stuff, long written down by book authors. John Hedgecoe is a GREAT instructor. Michael Freeman is good too, but in a different way. Bryan F. Peterson's VERY-newest book is actually the best one I've seen from him, and he's been an author for 30+ years.

The best way to get better is to read and learn from people who actually know how to teach photography principles and strategies; YouTube is mostly scatttershot stuff, and often ignores the basic fundamentals, and assumes a certain level of knowledge that MOST beginners just do not have, which is what makes YouTube video learning mostly unscuccessful for beginners, and far better for intermediate learners.

Last edited:
Whow. Canon really has such bad colors on their entry level cameras ? I'm really very surprised. Well its an older entry level model from 2011, but still.

I definitely like some of your pictures. The globe thats almost falling of the table, the tree branches in front and the skyscraper blurred in the background, the cellphone photographing the text, and the guy on the street with the music gear. That definitely shows some visual originality and creativity.

From your other pictures: dont always put the subject right in the middle. That often works, but often its much better to put it in a bit different position. As a most simple example, like when a person looks right, it often looks better to put the person a bit to the left. Just make different photos like that of the same subject and select later which looks best. The same goes by the way with landscape and portrait orientation.

The orange ball for example looks extra boring this way. Get a bit closer and show only enough of the ball so one knows its a ball. Thats also a typical case for "less is more", which often is a good thing to do in photography.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back