New Photographer: First Pictures: Please comment what could be improved.

JustJP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here is my first picture. It is slightly edited and I just want overall feedback. Don't hold back if it absolutely sucks but it would be great to know how I could improve.

Attachments

• First Edited.JPG
    First Edited.JPG
    866.8 KB · Views: 206
What is the photo supposed to be? All I see is a completely underexposed foreground that obscures the background, with nothing to serve as the subject of the photo.

Starting with nighttime photography is akin to learning to drive in a Jaguar. Back up a little and concentrate on the basics first. Go out during daylight hours (it doesn't need to be sunny) and get some practice in.

This could be something to start with: the exposure triangle. Look this up and take some shots with it in mind.

Welcome to the Forum. If you came here looking for comments and criticism, then you have come to the right place. Some of the comments will be very straight forward and to the point. They may seem a little harsh at times, but please take them in the context in which they were meant - to provide you with some constructive comments on you image. Mine follow - :biggrin-93:

In addition to the exposure problems, it looks like either the image wasn't focused properly, or the camera moved during the exposure. I should be able to read the name on the top of the building on the left and I cannot do this. You didn't provide us with any technical information. But if this was an extended exposure, I have to ask whether the camera was on a tripod and did you use mirror lockup and a remote shutter release? If you answered no to any of these, then you might want to read up on long exposure photography as well as the exposure triangle.

WesternGuy

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!
My first photos in my camera was just like this. it was of a bridge in florida and i believe there were more things wrong with it then your shot. I got a DSLR for the fact that i can get a night time shot. so thats what i did at first. I just got my camera the day of and i had to take pictures! I lingered on here for a couple weeks before getting my camera. I thought that night shot i did was great, Finally i can do he shots that i want. I put it up and it got ripped apart like crazy. I didnt really understand what people were talking about. and my thread got pushed aside to never be posted on again. i felt bummed lol. I stuck it out and read read read. there is a lot to having a shot come together to get someone to say Wow!
stay on here and learn about he things that others tell you about and try to keep it in mind the next time you go out. It can be overwhelming at first but after you hear things enough you dont have to think about it anymore. Like western said about comments. dont take things to heart but take them as learning.
If i could say anything it would be this. Keep your ISO lower. you have a lot of grain in the picture. (noise) the lower ISO will have to be set in a manual mode. shutter priority/ aperture priority/ manual. I shoot at 100-200 on my camera. it will clear it up a lot. I dont know if you used a tripod either but for night shots you need a longer exposure. therefore no movement at all. Tricks to that are mentioned above.
I dont know the equipment you have yet but wide angle might have captured the area better. 18mm maybe?
Its great to post your info on the shot too. It will help people give the right feedback. If you want to find the info , right click on the JPEG. choose proprieties and scroll down a little and all of you shot info should be there. Info might look like this:

1/4 shutter speed
F/5.6
ISO800
-----------
i would add anything extra like a timer if it was used, tripod, fill flash etc.. Even what camera that you use. like a Canon T5i . It will help on terms and settings you can use.
One more thing to add is that i would (and still do) carry my phone with me and have the TPF site up. this way i can refer to comments made on my threads when im out shooting. No way i remember everyone's posts. and its a quick reference to make the corrections for the next time out.
All in all have a great time out there with your camera. Shoot and have fun. everything else will come.

Way too much black area for my taste. Also no center of interest. With a very bright area, like the sign, in a dark area, like the rest of the picture, you may need to take a photo exposed for the dark area and another exposed for the bright area and put the two photos together in post-process.

That might be a little advanced for now. I dont think anyone "needs" HDR to make a shot correct. Its good to build a good base knowledge of a correct capture first.
Keep It Simple, Learn the camera, Think it out.

Welcome to photography. You're going to really enjoy it. As someone already suggested, start with daylight pictures. Also, find a beginner's book on photography that would teach you the basics. Then practice and post more images for comment. If available to you, join a local camera club where other beginner's and amateurs could help you learn and have fun in the process. Good luck.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back