New Photographer Here

Well I cancelled my order from Amazon as my local bookstore carried "Understanding Exposure" and I'm a big fan of shopping locally when possible.

However, after spending about an hour online with the tech service over at Kodak I've come to find out that the camera I have must not be working right some how. In manual mode I can change and play with all settings except for aperture!! We tried a few different troubleshooting techniques (resetting the default settings, and reformatting the internal memory). A bit bummed about that, but shouldn't complain as it was free.

Quick question as I save up for another camera;

I still want to take pictures until I get another one, will it still be worth it to play with the shutter speed and ISO of the camera if I can't also tweak the aperture?

Thanks, Vinny. I like the shot too, other than the reflection. But it's a learning process! I'll only be getting better. :D

The lens is 36-432mm AF 12x Optical Zoom

What shutter speed would you have recommended perhaps?

The "standard" answer is 1/(focal length) so at 36mm 1/30 (or a little safer 1/60) for 1/432 it would be 1/500 unless on a tripod.

I've read somewhere on this forum someone mentioned an exposure triangle, I never thought about it that way but the description works. Shutter speed, aperture and ISO all work hand in hand. Change one and it will affect one of the other 2 (or both), deciding which one is up to you and the effect you are trying to get with the photo.

I still want to take pictures until I get another one, will it still be worth it to play with the shutter speed and ISO of the camera if I can't also tweak the aperture?

I would say yes, I would use it for whatever you can learn from it. Does the aperture work in one of the other modes? You may be able to get an idea from the "auto" effect if it does.

just dropping by to say cool pictures. i like the thread and am learning much myself (i'm new to this field as well).

Most people just acquire photoshop.

Not Cool. If someone bootlegs photoshop, they deserve to have all of their photos stolen and posted/sold/printed by everyone without making a dime. Don't promote piracy on here, its an insult to all of us, and paints you as an amatuer.:thumbdown:

I would say yes, I would use it for whatever you can learn from it. Does the aperture work in one of the other modes? You may be able to get an idea from the "auto" effect if it does.

The aperture works and changes in all modes, however it does so automatically. So I can't change it myself. I can change shutter speeds and ISO but that's about it. Besides white balance and lighting options (like natural light, black and white, sepia, etc.)

just dropping by to say cool pictures. i like the thread and am learning much myself (i'm new to this field as well).

Well thanks! I posted the moonrise photo on my facebook and a lot of people tell me it's a great photo, lol. I think my photos look pretty basic and average but I do appreciate the compliments of course! :p

Most people just acquire photoshop.

Not Cool. If someone bootlegs photoshop, they deserve to have all of their photos stolen and posted/sold/printed by everyone without making a dime. Don't promote piracy on here, its an insult to all of us, and paints you as an amatuer.:thumbdown:

I know what you're saying here. A lot of friends still rag on me for buying CD's when I could download almost any of them I wanted! If I appreciate someone's music, art, etc., I'm going to support them through actually purchasing their work.

Hmmm...Aperture control is pretty important. Aperture controls your depth of field.

I used a point and shoot for years until I finally upgraded to a Nikon D5000. You can take some great photos with them but you will be limited to what you can do.

Invest in a good SLR if you really love taking pictures. It will be so worth it.
If money is an issue, try some pawn shops or Ebay for discounts on them. My Nikon cost me $1400.00 but that was including a 70-300mm zoom lens, a tripod and a Nikon camera bag. But that is nothing compared to the cost of other cameras out there.

Good luck and I loved the moon shot

Thanks Ronnie. The more I'm learning the more I could have made that moon shot at least twice as good.

I believe I have my choice of camera I'm going to purchase. It'll be used, but I am looking at the Canon Rebel 350D. I used the "Before You Ask What Camera..." thread to help make the decision. I read some nice reviews and watched a few reviews via YouTube to help make that decision. I will be searching for a used one, as I've seen them as low as $400 w/ a 35-80mm lens, instead of I think new around $700.

I'm through with reading "Understanding Exposure" and I've got to say that it's a great book! Amazing photos and great explanation of each one as well as the techniques used to capture them.

I'm still taking photos w/ my P&S, but the fact that I can't change aperture really bugs me. I still try and mess around with shutter speed and ISO but without the aperture as well, I don't think my shots are as good as they could be. So here's a couple new ones I took this morning.

1009482.jpg

1009484.jpg

I like both shots. I had set my alarm clock to wake me up before sunrise but I didn't quite make it outside in time. So I was in a hurry to try and find a nice view. The telephone wire cutting across the view irks me a bit.

The second shot is an old bag factory in my town. I used sepia color mode to give it even more of a rustic look.

C&C welcome.

You have an eye for composition no doubt. The sunset is great but the wire sucks being there. Its crazy what you have to do to get a good shot without things in the way.
The second one I like also but I think I would have cut out the sky on the right. Try shooting several angles then decide which one is the best.

Just more messing around. I set the shutter speed to 1 hoping to freeze the flame but since it's a point and shoot and I was holding it just the little movement in my hand caused the blur. But I rather like it. :D

candle007.jpg

Well I cancelled my order from Amazon as my local bookstore carried "Understanding Exposure" and I'm a big fan of shopping locally when possible.

However, after spending about an hour online with the tech service over at Kodak I've come to find out that the camera I have must not be working right some how. In manual mode I can change and play with all settings except for aperture!! We tried a few different troubleshooting techniques (resetting the default settings, and reformatting the internal memory). A bit bummed about that, but shouldn't complain as it was free.

Hmm, that sucks. Aperture is very important. Also, I recommend a Canon G series for a point and shoot ;)

You actually seem to have a good eye for composition, so kudos on that. Your pictures are pretty well shot for an amateur with a P&S man, keep it up!

Thanks for the comment Fed. Appreciate hearing the compliment.

I've a load to learn still, hence as you will see in the pictures I'm posting now. As always, any advice and critiques appreciated.

Walked my parents 40 acres this morning. Wanted to get out there early as it rained last night but it was late-morning before I got there.

1) Hunting Blind
walk004.jpg

2)Ducks In The Pond
walk013.jpg

3)Tree's Are Starting to Bud Now
walk020.jpg

4) More Buds - Can't Wait till they Bloom
walk021.jpg

What helped me was making a cheat sheet with av,tv and iso settings and which to use at what time i.e. portrait, fast action, close ups etc. It has helped me learn more about manual shots and what works better in a situation more easily so my basics are covered. Now I just need to keep dogs butts out of the pics. lol

vimmy those shots were tidy!

Most reactions

Back