New photographer looking for feedback.

pochemunchka

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hiya! I'm a fairly new photographer, very new to digital. I was looking to gain some insight from fellow photographers. I mostly enjoy black and white work, but I have been trying out color pieces as well. Any tips, criticism, feedback, suggestions will be greatly appreciated. :)

DSC_0354.jpg

DSC_0388.jpg

I've been using multi exposures, mirroring and taking photographs of natural objects for more textural, ethereal pieces. I love the idea of creating surreal, believable spaces. Please let me know what you think. Thank you so much in advanced!

DSC_0739.jpg

DSC_0551.jpg

DSC_0779.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forums. Somewhere around here I started a thread "Abstract?Minimalism" you should enjoy.

Your first image grabbed my attention, I love it. I think you nailed the contrast and hit that shutter at just the right time of day. Groovy. The 4th image is interesting with texture and color. I want to like the last one, the portrait. I do like the muted color and the overlay of water but her pose and expression doesn't fit for me.

Great first post!

I too like the first one, nice flow to it.
The rest not really interesting

Thank you all so much!! I appreciate it!

Welcome to the Forums. Somewhere around here I started a thread "Abstract?Minimalism" you should enjoy.

Your first image grabbed my attention, I love it. I think you nailed the contrast and hit that shutter at just the right time of day. Groovy. The 4th image is interesting with texture and color. I want to like the last one, the portrait. I do like the muted color and the overlay of water but her pose and expression doesn't fit for me.

Great first post!

I'd love to look into your abstract minimal thread. Thanks for the heads up! Certainly a route I enjoy. The feed back is so greatly appreciated! :)

Here's a link to the thread: The Abstract/Minimalist Thread !

Agree, I like #1, also like #5. I do agree with the pose/expression, but I like it with the processing.

Here's a link to the thread: The Abstract/Minimalist Thread !

Agree, I like #1, also like #5. I do agree with the pose/expression, but I like it with the processing.

Woo hoo!! Thank you for the link.

I greatly appreciate your taking your time to look at and respond to my post.

As an abstract/minimal photographer is there any advice you may have for my development?
Do you feel that textural images are a sound route? I'm looking to sell pieces to little coffee shops in the area and thought it might be more realistic to get advice from photographers before hand.

As an abstract/minimal photographer is there any advice you may have for my development?
Keep taking pictures to find your interest and to get better.

Do you feel that textural images are a sound route? I'm looking to sell pieces to little coffee shops in the area and thought it might be more realistic to get advice from photographers before hand.
It depends on the coffee shop, so do some research. I've been in several around me, and the photos/art on the wall is all different.

Awesome! That's great. I'll keep at it. I love photographing the forest, moss, plants and scenery!

Thank you! :)

going to give this a little bump in hopes of a little more feedback :0)

I see good eye, some raw talent and some interesting stuff. I don't agree with all your choices, but I see them as actual choices and not just random futzing around. That's important, IMO.

I get the feeling you're going to get your legs under you fairly quickly and be pretty amazing.

I like 4 best. If you do this on the computer instead of in the camera, you have a lot more control of the final image and can get a result that is closer to your vision.
I used to do in camera multi exposures on film when I had to rewind 7/8 of a turn on the film advance and hope it would line up like I intended.
It was fun but frustrating, we had no computers back then.

I see good eye, some raw talent and some interesting stuff. I don't agree with all your choices, but I see them as actual choices and not just random futzing around. That's important, IMO.

I get the feeling you're going to get your legs under you fairly quickly and be pretty amazing.

Wow. I am so humbled. Thank you for seeing such potential. I haven't quiet sharpened my digital skills yet and need to get a version of photoshop. I've been playing around in some open source programs for fun.

I really like what you said, the choices. I agree, these are so important to not only your work but your entire message as an artist.

Thank you so much for your feedback. So grateful.

I like 4 best. If you do this on the computer instead of in the camera, you have a lot more control of the final image and can get a result that is closer to your vision.
I used to do in camera multi exposures on film when I had to rewind 7/8 of a turn on the film advance and hope it would line up like I intended.
It was fun but frustrating, we had no computers back then.

Yes!! I love multiple exposures on film! Not sure if you've looked at any of Jerry Ulesmann's work (He's pretty big, though) Can you imagine creating those surreal 'scapes all in a dark room. My Lord!

jerry_uelsmann_weston_gallery_untitled_1980.jpg

As I have stated above, however I need to try and get into photoshop. I'm limiting myself with these little open source programs. :) Thanks for your response and taking the time to look at my work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back