New Photographer; Would love professional insight.

Roberto Acosta

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello forum!

My name's Rob and I am a new photographer to the scene, but have been learning and growing as much as I can in this industry. I appreciate honest feedback from other passionate photographers and would love to know if you can all help me out with any comments and constructive criticism or suggestions you may have. I currently shoot photos for two separate photography brands and have uploaded samples of them onto my profiles galleries.

Thanks for any feedback! Again, your opinions are extremely valuable to me.

Rob Acosta

Hi Rob, welcome. Best is to post the images directly here...I don't know how to find your gallery!

OK I found 22 images but really, best thing to do is to post one or two in the thread and request C&C.

On the left, under his avatar, there's a link 'Gallery: Robert Acosta'

??????? I must be particularly stupid today as I can't see see this under his avatar nor by looking at his profile. :apologetic:

Currently being shown in the sidebar as "Latest Photos".

My favorite is the family group (four people and a dog).

You've got a superb line going with their faces (not counting the dog), good light, and it appears to be in focus.

You have some great shots in your Gallery, Roberto. I particularly like the two with the woman and who I assume is her daughter. They're both somewhere between street photography and editorial fashion . Very nicely done. Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

You got good posing. Your tech skills could use some minor improvements but overall I'd say not bad.

Thanks guys! I will continue to post directly to the thread as I shoot new stuff and I genuinely appreciate the feedback.

I like the ideas and the posing. Quite a few may be better if you had gotten in closer or cropped them more. The large group on the hillside was really spread out so that each person was small and harder to see. Group them closer and move in a bit and each person would be more of the picture.
Post a specific photo or two (at the most) and you'll get more constructive comments.
But remember, all these comments are the personal opinion of each of us so may be useful to you, or not.

TPF has an entire section for photo sharing, and getting comment and critique - Photo Galleries

As far as the business aspects of doing photography - The Business District

After a quick look at your photos my first thought was you need to learn a lot more about photographic lighting quality and direction. Learn how to use supplemental light - reflectors, off camera flash - and how light modifiers - umbrellas, brollys, softboxes, beauty dishes - affect light quality.

In a lot of your photos the subjects have dark eye sockets (raccoon eyes), and the light quality and direction is often not flattering to the shot.

Last edited:
TPF has an entire section for photo sharing, and getting comment and critique - Photo Galleries

As far as the business aspects of doing photography - The Business District

After a quick look at your photos my first thought was you need to learn a lot more about photographic lighting quality and direction. Learn how to use supplemental light - reflectors, off camera flash - and how light modifiers - umbrellas, brollys, softboxes, beauty dishes - affect light quality.

In a lot of your photos the subjects have dark eye sockets (raccoon eyes), and the light quality and direction is often not flattering to the shot.

I appreciate this post. Thank you!

??????? I must be particularly stupid today as I can't see see this under his avatar nor by looking at his profile. :apologetic:

Currently being shown in the sidebar as "Latest Photos".

Sorry to be so thick, but I must not be looking in the same place as the rest of you.
Under his avatar is: "Joined" / "Messages" / "Likes Received" / "Location"
If I click on the OP's name I get a pop-up but I can't see "Latest Photos" there.
I don't know where else I am supposed to be looking ... but it must be somewhere.
Where is this "sidebar"?
As I said, I'm sure it's me, but I m at a loss as to where I can click.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back