New Phtographer needs help! <3

lfinkale

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, My name is Alanea and I am 16 years old.
I love taking pictures but it hasn't really clicked in my head yet. My cousin helped me alot by telling me to mess with ISO but thats about as far as it gets for me. I have a nikon D60 that came as a kit with a 18-55 lens. Do I need a diferent lens? Also, if anyone has any good suggestions for editing software or programs i would love to hear about where i could find it!
Thanks so much! :D

Hi Alanea and welcome to TPF! My first suggestion would be to sit down with your camera and manual and learn the buttons and menus.

There are many good books that will teach you basics like aperture and shutter speed. One of my favorites is Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. It will give you a good understanding and it is written with the beginner in mind so it is a fairly easy read.

As for lenses, no, you don't need a different lens. I say this because you will be able to get great photos with the lens that you have. Eventually, you will come to a point in your photography career that you will want to upgrade to something better but right now you will get much better photos from learning the basics.

I personally love Adobe Lightroom for my post processing. It might be expensive for you though seeing as how you are 16. When I was 16 I was working part time after school and basically dumping all my money into keeping my car on the road :lmao:. Anyway, back on topic, Adobe has a free beta version of Lightroom avaible on their website until March I think. Photoshop is the gold standard when it comes to post processing but it is rather pricey for the newest version. You can find older versions of Photoshop Elements for cheap though. Gimp is a popular free editing software. I have never used it so I can't speak from experience. Google offers Picasa which is free (and decent) and works with Google's web albums so that takes care of a photo hosting service too.

Again welcome to TPF. There is tons of information that you can find using the search feature. If you have a question that you can't find the answer to then feel free to ask on the forums. There are many helpful people.
I look forward to seeing your photography.

Amazon.com: Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera (Updated Edition) (9780817463007): Bryan Peterson: Books

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back