new printer

Rhys

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok. It's time for a wide format printer.

I refuse to buy anything Epson because of the last couple of Epson printers having been absolute trash. My latest just went in the trash after 3 changes of ink cartridges only. Nobody would buy it even for $50!

I won't buy HP either because their Mac drivers just don't work. They certainly don't on my wife's HP - it won't work with my Mac.

That leaves Canon - any suggestions?

Canon and Epson are about the same build quality. Breath on it and it's busted!

I dunno HP... haven't owned one in years.

I used an Epson 850 for about 7 yrs and replaced it with a 4 in 1 only because the ink was getting too hard to find.

My first two printers were HP, and neither one held up. I also heard from a postal worker that their Canons went south almost all at the same time. That was enough to convince me.

Anyway, the proof is in the pudding.:blushing: I scanned an 8X10 of a girl with heavy acne, cloned out the acne, and reprinted on the Epson 850. Everything was exactly the same minus the acne.

I used an Epson 850 for about 7 yrs and replaced it with a 4 in 1 only because the ink was getting too hard to find.

7 or 8 years ago they were built MUCH better than now! 15 / 20 years ago hey were virtually indestructible - I fully believe you could drop one out a 2 or 3 story window (onto the grass), plug it back in and print away (they were pin though and not ink-jet :D).

The ones released in the last 3 or 4 years are totally wimpy! I suppose if you set it on a cement block inside your house under a dust cover it might last "years" but if it's on the usual desktop, you move it around much, or even breath too hard around it then you're very lucky indeed if it even lasts 2 years.

- of course we're talking about consumer grade ink-jets here at $500 and under - not the studio or shop grade units costing much more. And I only know about Canon and Epson.

Most reactions

Back