I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, does anyone have any thoughts about the new Radio Poppers?

PDF press release

I've read a bit on another forum but I thought we could have a discussion here.

I was curious about the Jr model, as I don't have a bunch of dedicated units that I would need to really take advantage of the full Radio Popper units (the P1 and now the X). The Jr model is more expensive that I was hoping ($100 for a set) but it's not too bad. They made them part of an expandable system, so I guess that's good...but many people just wanted a simple cheap unit that works.

Interestingly enough, you can get the Jr with 'studio' receivers that can remotely control Paul C Buff lights (Alien Bee & White Lighting). That is pretty temping but those receivers are more expensive and I'd need one for each light (or at least each one I wanted to control).

The X units look to be pretty cool, with all sorts of functionality.

I might have to spring for the JrX. Those things are nice, and cheaper than PWs, and more reliable than Cactus triggers.

Not quite cheaper and not more reliable than a set of modded cactus transmitter/receiver. I just went through a 600 shot 6 hour portrait session a couple days ago and not ONCE did I have a single misfire. That brings up my total to well over 4000 pictures without a single issue (and there were well over 12 other photographers there, a few that I passed my transmitter to so they could use it as well when I took a break. None reported a misfire when I asked.

So I may not be able to shoot from 1500 feet, but I can reliably shoot from over 350ft. Not many here *actually* need more than 30-40 feet anyways.

In my home, I can trigger my flash as it sits in my room on the 2nd floor east side of the house as I am in the basement on the west side of the house... lol

I think that the RPs are EXCELENT competition to the PWs and I hope they drive the price down to a reasonable level (c'mon... $360-400 US for a pair of non-TTL trigger? Talk about over priced!). We will all benefit from their presence one way or another but my uber-cheap setup is doing me so good, I am just wondering why I am not hearing more people like me that are very happy with them!

Last edited:
I was expecting the Jr's to be simple triggers. I wish they had stuck to that philosophy and got them out earlier and cheaper.

That being said, the best combo for what I have and what I would want to do appears to be a JrX transmitter and PX receivers. I have 2 flashes now and want to add a 3rd but then I totaled that up (ouch!) and decided that Cactus may be just fine for me. I have not totally made up my mind yet, but the Jr transmitter with the hot shoe mount is the only option in my mind, and I would be leaving functionality on the table that I paid for without going to the PX receiver.

Sure would have made it a much simpler decision if they kept the power controls off the Jr and instead made that a mid range model of some kind.

Am I right in thinking that a JrX transmitter and a PX receiver is the only way to control flash level remotely without using iTTL? Ideally I would like to be able to dial in each flash separately from the camera. I am running a D70s with SB600s right now, but may jump to the SB800 if I have to for the 3rd flash in order to get the flexibility I am looking for.

I know I have more research to do on all of this, and have some reading queued up but if anyone that has been there with this stuff could give me the cliff notes version I would be appreciative! :mrgreen:

I'll stick with my Cactus untill I'm ready to take the plunge and get the PW's or the Full on radio poppers. Mike what are you using to trigger your AB's?

I am pretty sure that Mike is using a set of Cactus V2s, but he had some challenges doing his trigger mod.

Though he is an awesome photographer and a damn fine mod... his soldering skills lack just a little (actually, I am pretty sure it was because he used the wrong kind of wire, thats all). :lol:

Pick up that iron and practice on a few pieces and then make yourself some 350ft transmitters, Mike... good enough until you decide to go the other route! :mrgreen:

I didn't know that the cactus could trigger studio strobes. Is there a mod you have to do to make that happen?

Oh, and Jerry, I thought I was the only one up this early... I usually get to my office around 5am... too early

Most studio strobes have either a 3 pin, a 1/4" plug or 1/8th" plug to trigger them. All you need is the wire adapter from that to a sync connector on a V2s... works a charm! :) Most studio lights come with wires that connect the strobe to your camera's sync port, so you are already set.

Oh, yeah, I am a morning person... drives the G/F nuts when I get up at 4:00AM on vacations... lol.

Most studio strobes have either a 3 pin, a 1/4" plug or 1/8th" plug to trigger them. All you need is the wire adapter from that to a sync connector on a V2s... works a charm! :) Most studio lights come with wires that connect the strobe to your camera's sync port, so you are already set.

Oh, yeah, I am a morning person... drives the G/F nuts when I get up at 4:00AM on vacations... lol.

I did not realize that. I just got my first set of studio strobes. I bought the Genesis 200 kits from Calumet. I haven't opened the box yet, I hope I will be able to do this. If not, I will be buying a couple of hotshoe adapters to attach to the V2's. Oh, I'm a morning person too. My wife hates it. I get to my office at 5 every morning through the week so on the weekends I'm up and ready to go by 530. We're in the same boat.;)

I am just wondering why I am not hearing more people like me that are very happy with them!

Because part of the problem with the Cactus triggers is that even though you have a good set, it doesn't mean that others do. Bad QC and a high failure rate in comparison with more expensive products is what sets them apart.

You morning people make me sick :puke: Sorry, I just haven't had my coffee yet. :lol:

Yes, I use my Cactus triggers to fire my studio lights. I have been using an old set (PT-04) and they worked fine (with the original batteries) for well over a year. The only problem was that it didn't work with my 430EX but I have plenty of old off-brand flash units that worked fine. I bought a new V2s set and that one works with my 430EX.

It's very easy to use the triggers with studio lights. The receiver has a PC connection and the lights have a 1/8th standard socket. The lights come with a 15' cord, so I just left it coiled up and hung it on the light stand with the receiver attached at the end.
The transmitter goes right onto the hotshoe of the camera.
No adapters required.

Another way I have used them, is in combination with on-camera flash. I set up a studio light (or a hot-shoe flash on a stand) and plug in the receiver. I put a flash on the camera's hotshoe but connect the Cactus transmitter to the camera's PC socket with a short PC to 1/8th cord. Works like a charm and allows me to use use E-TTL flash on camera while triggering a remote light. I've also done this with borrowed pocket wizards.

Here is an example of that..
951-July12-04-web.jpg

And yes, I suck at soldering. ;)

Nice so I'll be able to just plug and play with the recievers on the V2's. cool. I thought I was going to have to get a hot shoe adapter to slide on the top of the reciever then plug the strobe into that. That's awesome.

I have an older set of studio strobes. One thing that I have to do is open them up and setup a switching mechanism that disables the built-in optical slaves when the plug is inserted (or just install a rocker switch to disable them when needed).

I had the wireless part going and they were still being triggered by flashes from other near-by cameras this past weekend. Annoying... and I never noticed this because I never used these lights before around other photographers (lol).

I just switched to the speedlights and solved that problem until I take things apart this weekend.

Most reactions

Back