New Record: 128GB

Yeah, and when the card fails -- away go 128GB of images in one fell swoop ...

I wonder how many thousands of dollars. If a sandisk 64gb is 600 this has to be up there for sure. Nice find though but my 16 is the biggest I would go and prefer 4 and 8gb cards more anyway. That's me though and probably most.
TJ

Who would ever need that much memory? I use an 8 GB card, shoot in RAW, and I've never completely filled it up.

Who would ever need that much memory? I use an 8 GB card, shoot in RAW, and I've never completely filled it up.

A single raw image on my 7D hits about 22 MB. My 8 GB cards can easily fill on a days shoot. I'd be scared of using a very big card, though, at the risk of losing a zillion images if it fails. I use 4's and 8's.

i bet its so expensive. probably not worth it either.
Smile.gif

A single raw image on my 7D hits about 22 MB. My 8 GB cards can easily fill on a days shoot. I'd be scared of using a very big card, though, at the risk of losing a zillion images if it fails. I use 4's and 8's.

Hmm... It's probably just because I delete most of my photos right after I take them then (usually only 5-10% are keepers). I checked the file size on my RAW images, and they range from 19-23 MB each.

Hmm... It's probably just because I delete most of my photos right after I take them then (usually only 5-10% are keepers). I checked the file size on my RAW images, and they range from 19-23 MB each.

Ah ... I don't usually chimp, so I don't know what are keepers until I download my images. I rarely have a 5-10% keeper rate at the end, though.

I think it's kind of crazy that the optical storage is getting passed by. Soon the CD's are going to fall away like the floppy. The Blue-Ray and holographics may keep them viable once they get the prices down.

I remember back in about 1992 when I fired up my new 486 33Mhz PC. It had a 210Mb hard drive....I thought "What do I need all that for...I'll never fill that up!" Now my phone has 150x the memory...and probably a faster processor.:lol:

Good ol' technology!

That's crazy! I think i'll still stick to my 8GB cards until I start shooting more video then maybe go up to 16GB but 128 is just insane!

Won't be long and these will be your hard drive... the speeds and storage are getting right up there.

I guess something like this would be for medium format camera and the like of the D3X and 1Ds Mark III. Still an overkill though, for now. Soon enough, we'll see DSLR with 30+ megapixel running on 16 bit shooting at 10 fps.

i always use 4-8 gig card. safer for card failure.

I can see a use for such large cards when camera sensors start giving us truly silly sized images- but that won't be for a little time yet I think. Also I can see a use for when one goes on a long trip with limited carryables - however in all honesty I would be really worried on a trip about losing the card (unless I was able to keep it in one camera the whole trip - which with an insane card like that would be nearly possible).

As for price - as soon as it hits the common usage market chances are the price will crash right down to similar levels we have today.

Ah ... I don't usually chimp, so I don't know what are keepers until I download my images. I rarely have a 5-10% keeper rate at the end, though.

Heh I chimp at the histogram mostly when shooting - and make corrections as and when I need to/can. However I have a policy of not deleting anything till it gets on the computer- the delete 1 and delete all icons are right next to each other. And one cold - widy - wet day I just know that deleting in camera, my finger will shake and hit the wrong button and then BANG off to praying image recovery software works!

Most reactions

Back