new scanner

MDowdey
The colours are awesome in the second one but I dont really like the composition. The proportions dont seem to be right for 35mm film, did you use panorama mode or crop the image? The ramp thing sticking out of the guitar is making me nervous btw :|
molested_cow
NO. The best flatbed canner with a negative carrier will be like 10 times worse than the worst dedicated film scanner. Trust me, it really isnt worth it, dont make the same mistake I made buying flatbed with a neg carrier and thinking I am going to get some awesome scans this way. The only time you can get a more or less decent scan is when the negative is perfectly exposed and even then you have to do a lot of tweaking. As for the software - theres vuescan and lasersoft silverfast Ai that can work with various scanners, BUT YOU HAVE TO CHECK COMPATibility beforehand.

Sash[DSL said:
]MDowdey
The colours are awesome in the second one but I dont really like the composition. The proportions dont seem to be right for 35mm film, did you use panorama mode or crop the image? The ramp thing sticking out of the guitar is making me nervous btw :|
molested_cow
NO. The best flatbed canner with a negative carrier will be like 10 times worse than the worst dedicated film scanner. Trust me, it really isnt worth it, dont make the same mistake I made buying flatbed with a neg carrier and thinking I am going to get some awesome scans this way. The only time you can get a more or less decent scan is when the negative is perfectly exposed and even then you have to do a lot of tweaking. As for the software - theres vuescan and lasersoft silverfast Ai that can work with various scanners, BUT YOU HAVE TO CHECK COMPATibility beforehand.

this was the very first time i have shot with slides. and they were done 6 months ago. might have learned a couple of things since then. but yes, the comp is off, this was merely to show off the new toy.

thanks for your comments everyone.

md

molested_cow said:
Ok, another question. Is there any other flat bed scanner that does the job just as well? Can I get a flat bed scanner with a slide or negative holder and get the software separately?

A flat bed is no substitute for a dedicated film scanner but my Epson 3200 does a decent enough job. If I was going to scan something for sale or framing, I would have a pro lab drum scan the ned/slide. For day to day use, it's good enough.

Molested_cow

There are a few good quality flatbed film scanners on the market but most cost between 1000 to 3000 dollars, I'm personally have been looking at the Microtek AritixScan 1800f for $1100 at B&H, but if you will be only scanning flats and 35mm it would be cheaper to get two scanners.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=264643&is=REG
264643.jpg

Jeff Canes said:
Molested_cow

There are a few good quality flatbed film scanners on the market but most cost between 1000 to 3000 dollars, I'm personally have been looking at the Microtek AritixScan 1800f for $1100 at B&H, but if you will be only scanning flats and 35mm it would be cheaper to get two scanners.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=264643&is=REG
264643.jpg

jeff, im confused as to why you would pay that much? i got my dedicated film scanner for 300 bucks. who needs flatbed when you have that?

md

MDowdey said:
Jeff Canes said:
Molested_cow

264643.jpg

jeff, im confused as to why you would pay that much? i got my dedicated film scanner for 300 bucks. who needs flatbed when you have that?

md
To scan larger format film.

voodoocat said:
MDowdey said:
Jeff Canes said:
Molested_cow

264643.jpg

nikon coolscan, doesnt it scan medium format?? its less than 1100 dollars.

md

md
To scan larger format film.

MDowdey said:
md

I what/need a MF scanner and this is lowest priced one I can find, I know the quality will not be as good as film only model but those cost even more

Jeff Canes said:
MDowdey said:
md

I what/need a MF scanner and this is lowest priced one I can find, I know the quality will not be as good as film only model but those cost even more

yeah thats cool. i dont shoot enough MF to warrant one of those bad boys!!

md

Most reactions

Back