New Sigma 50-500mm OS

icassell

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I got email from Sigma today that the Canon version of this has begun to ship.

Price on Amazon and Adorama both is $1600

Keeping my fingers crossed that it turns out to be a good lens, because the price is great considering the options in that focal length.

I do get the feeling that Sigma tend to price their new releases closer to the price its going to settle at than Canon who seem to prefer very inflated release prices and creaming off the eary purchases.

Anyway for record here is a review of the OLD 50-500mm from sigma with a comparison to other superzoom lenses:
Juza Nature Photography
As you can see the release of a lens of this type with OS is interesting as it could really mean that sigma finally have something that can outcompete the canon 100-400mm L. If anyone finds reviews/comparisons please to post here as this lens is very interesting to those after a long and good reach on a more modest (in long telephoto lens terms) budget - or for those after a zoom walkaround option.

Yes, I'm waiting to see reviews. I don't know how this lens differs from the old 50-500 aside from the OS. That lens has always been well respected (and considered by most to be optically superior to the 150-500mm OS).

In less than a year, I have put in a lot of research and more research on the equipment end.
I have learned that reviews of the same equipment can vary considerably with the PROs and the USERs.

Learning what I have about lens in general, how is it possible to make this type of lens a real quality lens? ...especially for $1600

Current 50-500mm $1,059.00
Canon 100-400mm IS L $1,610.00
New 50-500mm OS $1,600.00

Prices for the other two lenses off Amazon.com, 50-500mm OS from above.
Essentially its a very good question, but a quick look at the competition for that lens shows that its already $600 more than its original model and that its current price brings it in line with current pricing on the canon 100-400mm lens. Sigma are often regarded as a cheaper option and part of that is that they do charge less (generally speaking) than canon and nikon on most things (part of what the companies trade on is their name). So Sigma are charging a very fair market rate on this lens. Also as I said above, I belive Sigma tend to price their release price closer to its stable market value rather than canon who tend to overprice quite a bit on the initial retail value
(sorry to always compare to canon, but I don't know nikon or other brands well enough)

Current 50-500mm $1,059.00
Canon 100-400mm IS L $1,610.00
New 50-500mm OS $1,600.00

Prices for the other two lenses off Amazon.com, 50-500mm OS from above.
Essentially its a very good question, but a quick look at the competition for that lens shows that its already $600 more than its original model and that its current price brings it in line with current pricing on the canon 100-400mm lens. Sigma are often regarded as a cheaper option and part of that is that they do charge less (generally speaking) than canon and nikon on most things (part of what the companies trade on is their name). So Sigma are charging a very fair market rate on this lens. Also as I said above, I belive Sigma tend to price their release price closer to its stable market value rather than canon who tend to overprice quite a bit on the initial retail value
(sorry to always compare to canon, but I don't know nikon or other brands well enough)

I hate to point out the obvious....but isn't the 100-400 about 100mm shorter than the 50-500? 100mm is a lot when doing birding and such....and before mentioning TC's, TC's can be used on the 50-500 as well.

Yes, 400 is 100mm lesss than 500 (although many reviews say that the original 50-500 doesn't really reach 500 -- more like 450ish) and that 100 mm can make a big difference to a birder. In general, IQ has been considered to be similar on the old 50-500 with the Canon 100-400 (with a possible slight edge going to the Canon), but the Canon had the advantage of IS. This new lens may close that gap somewhat.

Unfortunately, TCs on a zoom aren't ideal, and one will lose AF on this lens (and with the Canon as well) on a crop sensor body if you add a TC. If I had a choice, I'd go for the 500mm f/4 in a heartbeat, but at over $6K, it isn't going to happen anytime soon. I'm waiting to see what this one looks like.

Actualy its any camera body outside of a 1D line for canon that you lose af if the lens setup has a max aperture below f5.6 (some sigma lenses that go to f6.3 don't report this to the af part of the camera so it never notices) - nikon have no af limitation (as far as I know). However after that point accuracy and speed make a significant drop (even on the nikons). I have seen people use a 1.4TC on a 100-400mm, but the AF drop and the image qualty drop normally mean most give up and only use the setup in very bright light (using manual focus) and mostly only keep it for fun/record shots.

Sometimes you can fool the system into autofocusing by putting tape over contacts on the TC, but usually the AF time slows so much as to make this technique of dubious utility.

My choice is going to be between the new Sigma and the Canon 400mm f/5.6

Ian, please please please let us know as soon as you can how you make out with this lens. I'm desperate for a 500 zoom. For me and my pocket book, primes just don't give me optimal bang for my buck. I havent' been able to find one a Sigma 50-500 or Nikon 80-400 in a store to see up close and personal before buying. Every time I try to make a decision and read reviews they are always all over the place from good to bad and then I chicken out. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Well this changes things a bit for me. I have been eyeing a used Nikon 600 f/4 MF lens for a week now (AF outa my ball park). It a pretty well worn user but still very capable of very good shots (looked at it twice now). I had a Sigma 150-500 about 10 years ago and sold it within a year after not using it due to its failings (zoom creep, soft). I have been considering the 50-500 due to it's popular following but Sigma's off and on quality issues had been scaring me away. Now that they have added OS, the stop and a third slower lens does not bother me so much. Even if its 50% more than the original. I think I would rather have the slower shorter sigma that AF's over the MF Nikon 600. I still have my 300 f/2.8 mf and although I can focus pretty well, I still miss critical sharp focus on quite a few shots due to the focusing screen not having any aids in digitals (focus confirmation light not accurate enough).

Think, think, think.

Ian, please please please let us know as soon as you can how you make out with this lens. I'm desperate for a 500 zoom. For me and my pocket book, primes just don't give me optimal bang for my buck. I havent' been able to find one a Sigma 50-500 or Nikon 80-400 in a store to see up close and personal before buying. Every time I try to make a decision and read reviews they are always all over the place from good to bad and then I chicken out. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Well, it's not in my immediate future. I don't have the cash right now and, even if I did, I don't want to be the first to buy it. Although I have several Sigma lenses that I am very happy with, they still make me nervous with their quality control issues and I don't want to spend that kind of money until I hear from others that this is a winner. That being said, I've heard very few bad reviews of the original 50-500 -- except for the fact that owners wished it had OS.

Hi,

Just joined this forum and I'm also looking at the new 50-500 OS. My main interest is in motor sport - mainly bikes- and can't make my mind up between the new 50-500OS sigma, Sigma 150-500 OS, Tamron 200-500 or maybe a 2nd hand 300mm F2.8 prime. I used a Nikon 70-300vr last year and found the 300mm a bit short of reach at some tracks which is the reason I'm looking for that extra 200mm. If I do decide on the 2nd hand route and primes, I'll also need a T/C which will loose me a stop so I'm undecided. What do you think of my situation, what would you do? My budget is no more than ÂŁ1500

I've just bought a 2nd hand Nikon D300 with a MB-D10 battery grip which is going to give me 8fps which is a serious upgrade from my D80 at 2.5fps. This camera deserves good glass!

Thanks everyone and hello btw!!!!!!!:D

I'm watching and waiting. The 150-500 has a better reputation than the Tamron 200-500. The 50-500 has reportedly better optics than the 150-500 but, up till now, didn't have OS. Maybe this will make the bridge.

I'm watching and waiting. The 150-500 has a better reputation than the Tamron 200-500. The 50-500 has reportedly better optics than the 150-500 but, up till now, didn't have OS. Maybe this will make the bridge.

Hi Ian, thanks for the welcome by the way. Seems I Can't send PM's just yet.

I found a copy of What Digital Camera from June last year which ran a comparison test between the Sigma 150-500mm & the Tamron 200-500mm. The end result of that test was the Tamron scored 90% and the Sigma 84%. I actually placed an order for the Sigma 50-500mm on Jessops web page, but I recieved and e-mail from them today saying they cannot get any more stock of the 50-500mm therefore cancelled my order - which in turn led me to post my first post on here!!

Most reactions

Back