New Sigma 50-500mm OS

I'm watching and waiting. The 150-500 has a better reputation than the Tamron 200-500. The 50-500 has reportedly better optics than the 150-500 but, up till now, didn't have OS. Maybe this will make the bridge.

Hi Ian, thanks for the welcome by the way. Seems I Can't send PM's just yet.

I found a copy of What Digital Camera from June last year which ran a comparison test between the Sigma 150-500mm & the Tamron 200-500mm. The end result of that test was the Tamron scored 90% and the Sigma 84%. I actually placed an order for the Sigma 50-500mm on Jessops web page, but I recieved and e-mail from them today saying they cannot get any more stock of the 50-500mm therefore cancelled my order - which in turn led me to post my first post on here!!

I have never seen a review which placed that tamron over the sigma 50-500. Unless you're in a big hurry, I'd wait until the new sigma is out and some reviewers have their hands on it.

This might be good reading for you

Juza Nature Photography

and Juza is promising an upcoming comparison of the 50-500 and the 50-500 OS

I'm watching and waiting. The 150-500 has a better reputation than the Tamron 200-500. The 50-500 has reportedly better optics than the 150-500 but, up till now, didn't have OS. Maybe this will make the bridge.

Hi Ian, thanks for the welcome by the way. Seems I Can't send PM's just yet.

I found a copy of What Digital Camera from June last year which ran a comparison test between the Sigma 150-500mm & the Tamron 200-500mm. The end result of that test was the Tamron scored 90% and the Sigma 84%. I actually placed an order for the Sigma 50-500mm on Jessops web page, but I recieved and e-mail from them today saying they cannot get any more stock of the 50-500mm therefore cancelled my order - which in turn led me to post my first post on here!!

I have never seen a review which placed that tamron over the sigma 50-500. Unless you're in a big hurry, I'd wait until the new sigma is out and some reviewers have their hands on it.

This might be good reading for you

Juza Nature Photography

and Juza is promising an upcoming comparison of the 50-500 and the 50-500 OS

Thanks for the link Ian, as you said, interesting reading. I'm leaning towards the new Sigma 50-500mm OS atm, but I'll have to read a few reviews first. Gotta say though, having the money ready but having to wait is a killer!!

Cheers.

Sigma 50-500 mm f/4.5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM - sample images - Lenstip.com

Some sample images - the bird at 500mm is really drawing me to this lens!

Oh my ...

And that's a relatively difficult contrast situation -- brown on brown. Additionally, they were shot as JPEGs ...

If future bird images look like that, this is going to be my next lens... (although I must also admit that I'm eying the new Sigma 8-16mm)

Here's another link:

http://www.rytterfalk.com/2010/04/13/sigma-50-500-os-first-look/

Last edited:
Yep no sharpening right out of camera JPEGs - and I get the feeling taken with low in camera (or at least neutral) settings - a contrast boost, clarity slider (in RAW) or highpass sharpen and a regular sharpen and the results would really clean up a lot more still.

Still I'll be interested to see Juza's test shots - one thing I did notice in his previous long lens test was that the 100mm L appeared to resove quite a bit more finer detail in a lot of the shots - overall sharpnesses were similar (when unsharpened) but the 100mm appeard to show more little details than the others.

Test from POTN are coming in as well -a bit more hit and miss with what you get (different users and setups) but some ideas at least:
Sigma 50-500 OS - Page 7 - Canon Digital Photography Forums

Tthe big difference to Juza's I feel is the reports on the OS - even from Teamspeed who used a 100-400mmL from before there is not that sluggish feeling that Juza reported with the OS on the 50-500mm he tested. I am wondering if then he has not identified a possible OS sample variation problem with production that leads to some of the 50-500mm underperforming with their OS to what they should be a capable of.

Resolution wise the 100-400mm does appear to have the edge I agree, though when viewing the two test shots at the end of Juza's review the edited versions don't have too much difference to them .

Most reactions

Back