New site: neat alternative to stock photos

Goontz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is in beta, still in the process of being launched, but a friend of a friend came up with this site/idea for her MBA. Evidently, she ended up winning a few awards and stuff, and UT payed out some to help it get launched.

The idea is simple - A business wants a concept picture, describes it, and the photographers all shoot samples and compete to have their picture chosen. If the company chooses your picture to use, you get paid for it. It solves some of the issues with having to choose generic stock photography, etc.

I thought this was a neat way to have fun with a given 'theme' and possibly get your work used while getting paid for it. Figured I'd help spread the word.

http://beta.focalpop.com

Very neat for the buyer.

Not so much for the photographer.

A little bit like the contest scam.

Nice way for the buyers to get new images cheaper than through the stock agencies. Nothing personal but your friend is not helping photogs with this idea.

I agree it is more like a contest of sorts. No offense taken. Like I said, just a friend of a friend and thought I'd throw it out there for those that might be interested.

Did you read the terms and conditions? If you submitted one and they purchase it you are giving them the copyright. Definitely not on the photographers side.

I agree it is more like a contest of sorts. No offense taken. Like I said, just a friend of a friend and thought I'd throw it out there for those that might be interested.
Shill: Definition #2: "a person who publicizes or praises something or someone for reasons of self-interest, personal profit, or friendship or loyalty."

:raisedbrow: Think what you will. I don't know, nor have I ever met the person that started this. Heck, even the person that I found out about it from is only an acquaintance from another forum. I have no interest in the site's success whatsoever. It was simply something I hadn't seen done before and thought some people might find it fun or want to give a shot.

:raisedbrow: Think what you will. I don't know, nor have I ever met the person that started this. Heck, even the person that I found out about it from is only an acquaintance from another forum. I have no interest in the site's success whatsoever. It was simply something I hadn't seen done before and thought some people might find it fun or want to give a shot.
Ah, an 'aquaintance from another forum'. That's a far cry from a 'friend' and definately different.

"Friend of a friend" is a lot easier than explaining exactly how I came across the site and in no way implies that I know the site's owner or have any interest in it.

Hey guys - I am the "friend of a friend"... or however you want to label it. :) I hope you don't mind me jumping in on this discussion.

As Goontz mentioned, we just launched the site in beta, so we're very interested in hearing feedback and completely open to making changes based on what photographers tell us. We are actually revisiting the terms with our lawyers after there was a discussion about them on a different forum we determined that some of the wording in the terms were more rigid than we intended.

If you have any other feedback, I'd be happy to hear it, as this is the best time for us to make changes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back