New Speedlight question

GTMeyers

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys, I just picked up an SB-800 for my Nikon D50. So far I am in love, being that I can fire it off of the camera. The first assignment I went on worked out perfect.

The next night wasn't as perfect though. I'm new to the modes and left it on TTL BL outside in the dark. Most of my photos turned out too dark, even when I bumped up the EV to +1EV, still too dark.

I would love to be able to let the flash set the level for me, and it worked fine in TTL BL when there was a little backlight. Once the sun went down the photos went dark on me.

Can anyone give me some suggestions? Should I use AA mode? If so, will it adjust the level accordingly, or do I have to adjust the level from photo to photo?

Just for more info I was using the kit 18-55mm lens ISO 400 and ISO 800.

Thanks

Your problem is that you're shooting in TTL.

CLS in TTL is great sometimes, when you don't have time to use manual, but if you have time to set up, you have time to shoot manual power, and over time, you get a feel for it where you don't have to do much adjusting.

Shoot it in manual and then go from there, you'll get the most out of your speed lights that way and they'll only do what you tell them to do. I always start at about 1/4 power with my aperture at f/8 when the speed lights are about 15 feet away, then adjust from there.

Thanks for the help. I thought that TTL was the reason, but wanted to be sure.
Do you use manual when you bounce it as well? I was outdoors so I had nothing to bounce it off of. I haven't had a chance to use the bounce feature yet, but am looking forward to it.

Thanks for the help. I thought that TTL was the reason, but wanted to be sure.
Do you use manual when you bounce it as well? I was outdoors so I had nothing to bounce it off of. I haven't had a chance to use the bounce feature yet, but am looking forward to it.

If I have one of my 600's off the hot shoe, it's in manual all the time. It's all about absolute control, that's why you have your strobes off camera in the first place.

Well that's why people still use Pocket Wizards even with Nikon......

Most reactions

Back