new stuff from my 20d!

i must say that i sort of like those pics. that camera must be pretty darn good to enable those captures. i guess having the money really does put you at an advantage over others...

Great series of images, I really like the shot of water splashing against the hand. Nice crisp images with plenty of interest.

jophassa said:
i must say that i sort of like those pics. that camera must be pretty darn good to enable those captures. i guess having the money really does put you at an advantage over others...

I wouldn't say that I "have the money", rather that I am spending more on camera equipment than I probably should, but I'm hoping to be able to write it off when I do my taxes later this year.

This also brings up another interesting point, one addressed in this article by Ken Rockwell, that it really doesn't matter what kind of equipment you are using, great pictures can be taken by anyone and anything.

First off, let me say these are fantastic photos! The first is my fav, and really made me stare for a while.

That being said, I thought I'd do a bit of critiquing: I think Nos. 3 and 6 could benefit from a deeper DOF, as things that appear important to the photo just aren't in focus with the wide aperture. there also appears to be quite a bit of sharpening on the ones with water, and I can see some pixelation. That's pretty much it. I don't know how you generally take critique, so don't take this as an insult. It is rare for me to critique a photo these days, and it really takes something special to make me give the time to do so, and these are very special.

Have fun with that 20D of yours, and I could tell you had some nice lenses...gorgeous bokeh...

Wow! Love, love the 2nd. They all are great, even though the grasshopper completely grosses me out LOL.

YOU did a fantastic job :)

clarinetJWD said:
First off, let me say these are fantastic photos! The first is my fav, and really made me stare for a while.

That being said, I thought I'd do a bit of critiquing: I think Nos. 3 and 6 could benefit from a deeper DOF, as things that appear important to the photo just aren't in focus with the wide aperture. there also appears to be quite a bit of sharpening on the ones with water, and I can see some pixelation. That's pretty much it. I don't know how you generally take critique, so don't take this as an insult. It is rare for me to critique a photo these days, and it really takes something special to make me give the time to do so, and these are very special.

Have fun with that 20D of yours, and I could tell you had some nice lenses...gorgeous bokeh...

thanks for the critiques. I'd like to think that im good at taking critique. Obviously, certain things are subjective, and you are right, some of them probably could benefit from a little bit more DOF, i would say #2 more than any of the others, but hey, thats just how i shot them. Next time I do something similar i'll try more variations, seems like I always know what i'd do differently after I look at what I shot. I do enjoy putting a very soft effect on macros with 2.8 though.

The sharpening might be liberal at times, but I find that certain monitors make some pictures seem over sharpened. For example, the monitor i'm using now makes all pictures seem over sharpened, yet my monitor that I edit on makes them look much smoother and richer. Maybe thats it. Either way, i'd much rather have slightly over-sharpened pictures than too soft looking pictures, even if to only say that yes indeed, it was in focus. But I know what you mean, and I often cannot decide how much to sharpen and not sharpen. Perhaps i'll ease off a bit on the sharpening.

nakedyak said:
thanks for the critiques. I'd like to think that im good at taking critique. Obviously, certain things are subjective, and you are right, some of them probably could benefit from a little bit more DOF, i would say #2 more than any of the others, but hey, thats just how i shot them. Next time I do something similar i'll try more variations, seems like I always know what i'd do differently after I look at what I shot. I do enjoy putting a very soft effect on macros with 2.8 though.

The sharpening might be liberal at times, but I find that certain monitors make some pictures seem over sharpened. For example, the monitor i'm using now makes all pictures seem over sharpened, yet my monitor that I edit on makes them look much smoother and richer. Maybe thats it. Either way, i'd much rather have slightly over-sharpened pictures than too soft looking pictures, even if to only say that yes indeed, it was in focus. But I know what you mean, and I often cannot decide how much to sharpen and not sharpen. Perhaps i'll ease off a bit on the sharpening.
I completely agree with you on the DOF. No 2 the most, and the others subjective. As far as sharpening, if you're using a CRT to edit on, you are not seeing true pixels, but a slightly dithered image. I use an LCD for all my photography needs, so things do appear sharper. Anyways, keep it up, I'll have to watch for your threads

clarinetJWD said:
I completely agree with you on the DOF. No 2 the most, and the others subjective. As far as sharpening, if you're using a CRT to edit on, you are not seeing true pixels, but a slightly dithered image. I use an LCD for all my photography needs, so things do appear sharper. Anyways, keep it up, I'll have to watch for your threads

I should probably anticipate that for sharpness as I am editing on a CRT. Hopefully i'll be moving to a nicer larger LCD soon, so that'll get better I hope.

Most reactions

Back