New to DSLR-Questions

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

I am new to the forum but have actually been reading for a while. I really like this forum and will be spending alot more time on here.

I am looking to buy my first DSLR camera. Right now I have a Canon P3 Is with a Téléphoto lens, wide angle lens, and the whole filter kit. I am taking some amazing pictures, but I think I am ready to take it to the next step.

This is my first year in college, so money is a little tight.I have an opinion on what I like and what I think I should get, but wanted to hear what the members of TPF think.

I am really big on wildlife photo, whether it be animals such as deer, turkey, ducks, and other big game, but I like taking macro shots and I am always looking for other, different kind of shots to take.

I am looking for a fast camera with a good, fast lens. Something with a VR or IS. I was currently looking at a D40X with a Nikkor 70-300 Vr lens, and another 18-55mm Nikkor lens.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._70_300mm_f_4_5_6G_AF_S_VR.html#goto_itemInfo

To the D40 and the D40x owners out there, what are your impressions on your cameras? Will the lens above fit on the D40?

I am open to comments and suggestions. This is a big buy and I would like to make sur I make the right choice.

Thank you!

All nikon lenses will fit on nikon slrs. The D40/x does not have a focusing motor inside the body so only AF-S lenses will have autofocus capabilities with the d40/x. Those two lenses you mentioned will fit and the autofocus will work.

You sound like you're on the right track to me. Take the plunge and buy that d40x and the 70-300VR/18-55mm lenses, you won't regret it.

Thats probably what I would go with (I'm purchasing a DSLR and those are most likely my lens choices)! :thumbup:

Skip out on the X part of the D40. 6 MP is alright and the money is better suited to more glass, or if not, a memory card.

agree with DSLRnoob.

Thank you for your help! I have a few more questions:

1. What do the letters/numbers f/4.6-5.8 ect mean when choosing a lens?

2. How do you get a frame on your pictures and put your name on it?

3. What is the difference between RAW and Jpeg?

4. Finally, vertical battery grips; are they worth it?

Thank you for your help! I have a few more questions:

1. What do the letters/numbers f/4.6-5.8 ect mean when choosing a lens?

2. How do you get a frame on your pictures and put your name on it?

3. What is the difference between RAW and Jpeg?

4. Finally, vertical battery grips; are they worth it?

1. Those mean the maximum aperture (f/stop) that the camera has at a given focal length. In English, they mean how big the hole is in the lens for light to get through. Smaller numbers are better... example, 2.8 is much better than 4.0... 4.8 to 5.6 are what what people call "slow" which basically means they don't let in as much light as "faster" lenses which are (generally) both more expensive and much bigger/heavier. Zoom lenses are often variable in their aperture... which means the amount of light that gets through is less the longer you zoom. You can get zooms that are constant (often 2.8), but they are big, heavy, expensive and generally excellent.

2. I don't... I will leave that question for others.

3. Please search the forum for that question, it has been asked a bazillion times and answered completely time and again... usually about 4 times a week.

4. It depends. If you are buying a D40 or D40/X they don't even take them. They can help balancing a bigger lens, and obviously provide more battery time. I would say it depends on how/what you are shooting. Outdoors with a big lens, absolutely. Otherwise, it is situational. Also, it is a matter of feel... does the camera feel better to the shooter when the grip is on. If you get a camera that supports on, I advise you to go to a store and try one out before you buy it. I don't recommend "off brand" grips, stick with a Nikon grip for Nikons or a Canon grip for Canons.

Most reactions

Back