new to film photography, need tips

Shayne

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So, hi. Up until now I have had no interest in film photography. I have many digital cameras, Nikon's are my preferred digital camera. I would like to get into film photography, but I have no idea where to start. I first of course need a camera, and that's where your advice will come in handy the most. If you could just let me know what kind of film camera you recommend, and any other tips you may have for a person who hardly knows anything about film cameras. I really appreciate it. Thanx!!!:lmao:

Well....I would advise sticking with Nikon, If memory serves me correctly you should be able to manually use some of your digital lenses on the film body, however not being a Nikon buff I could be mistaken.

Pentax K-1000

SMC Pentax-M 50mm f/2.0 prime

T-Max 400

Basic Techniques of Photography by John P. Schaefer

Stick with Nikon so you can use some of your Nikon glass. You can pick up an F3, FA for a little over $100

Nikon Field Flash Digital Guide photography by Thom Hogan

Here are some good reviews of various film Nikons. The N90 or N90s are decent AF bodies, available for a song. Superb viewfinder image from the N90 series, or the F100. The Nikon N80 is widely available and is cheap and was cheap and I would never suggest you buy one, but if you do decide you want a little N 80, do not pay more than $50 for one.

The F100 is occasionally available very affordably. It is a sweet camera!

Whatever you buy, do not overpay! The values of 35mm slr bodies are super low. If you want a Nikon that can use "any" lens, the F3, F3-HP, or F4 in any incarnation will use basically all the manual focus lenses.

The N90 and N90s will not use VR lenses.

What do you want out of film that you seem to be missing with Digital?

If it's that because you can take so many shots with Digital that you don't seem to be enjoying the process any more, might I suggest that you explore formats larger than 35mm?

These formats will make you slow down and savor each shot. A good thing most of the time. ;)

Mike E makes a good point. One of the great things about the mass movement over to digital is that now it is possible to buy nice medium format outfits for what used to be the cost of an inexpensive mf lens.

Not sure? Pick up a Yashica Mat -- any of the Mat series, because they have the Yashinon taking lens -- it won't cost you a lot of money. Its fixed focal length will force you to slow down and compose. And you'll love the detail you get from that big 6x6 negative (or slide). Then of course, you'll be wanting to get a good scanner so you can digitize your film images. But you'll want some way of digitizing your film images anyway, regardless of whether you go with a 35mm or medium format.

If it were me, I'd do both . . . what am I saying, that is what I'm doing: I have a DSLR, six 35mm SLRs, an Epson 4990 scanner, and will soon be picking up a Yashica Mat, just so I can have a medium format camera once again.

I picked up an N75 for under $50 and it's mint, benefit being that it uses ALL my lenses from my new Sigma 18-250 HSM with Optical Stabilization and internal focus motor to my older 50mm f/1.8 and 35-70 f/2.8.

Great camera too!

My first 2 rolls were B&W film, had a great time!

632850592_ZTSvL-S.jpg

632851085_ZNqD3-S.jpg

Last edited:
Been using Nikon FA for over 15 years with great results.

I've used a Nikkormat and Nikon FM with great results before, both very easy to use, but you can't use G lenses on them.

Just got hold of an F100 and MB15 battery grip, I don't see myself going back to digital for a while, extremely happy with that camera, and I can use my old manual glass with it, along with all the newer Nikkor lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back