New to forum & photography

monkeypox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone

For some inexplicable reason I have suddenly become enamored of beautiful photography and want to immerse myself into the world of photography.

I have probably taken 10 pictures in my entire life, and that was 30 years ago, so I come here seeking advice & guidance on all the aspects of the hobby.

I have no clue as to how to begin, but will be looking for a “dummies” book tonight, and I am quickly perusing these forums for general advice given to others.

I think I will be focusing on nature photography at first, things like the wading birds in a local waterway or the interesting black squirrels in my trees, etc. so I think I will need a zoom lens.

I also like scenic photography (sunsets from the mountains nearby, cloudscapes (is that a word?) so I assume I will need different lenses for that. Photography of people is an ultimate goal, but I would like to have a decent portfolio before I approach anyone.

From what I have read, it seems that digital is the format for me, but I am really unsure.

I have access to a large format plotter at work, so I will be able print my pictures out at sizes up to 42” wide & as long as the roll of paper, and this leads my to believe that digital is the initial way to go. I also have some experience with Photoshop and will be using it to print my pictures.

I have about $1,200 U.S. to invest initially, so any suggestions as to cameras / lenses / gear would be appreciated (if this isnÂ’t enough please let me know). Also if anyone has a suggestion about any books about the technical aspects I would appreciate it.

Currently I donÂ’t know what an f-stop or mega pixel is, but I hope to before the day is over.

I also donÂ’t know the difference between a good or poor camera, the way I just know the difference between a good electronics brands.

The only thing I was ever told is that Germans make the best lenses, as told to me by my German mother :lol:

If this is the wrong place to ask, or if this information is readily found in the pinned / stickied post I am sorry, my online time is limited.

Being new, I donÂ’t really know what questions to ask, so forgive me if my query is lacking.

Thank you
Norman

Well you've come to the right place to learn.

I'll start you off by giving you this link

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123160&highlight=tutorials

it's incredibly helpful. You may want to turn to Camerapedia.org when you need definitions of certain settings, types of pictures and options, or just to learn about lenses and cameras. Good luck, you have a lot of reading to do, but I'm also in the same boat.
I just ordered these two books.
Digital Photography volumes one and two by Scott Kelby. I've heard lots of good things about these books.

-TAG

Glad to have you aboard, welcome.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back