New, to forum,...

zen_and_ink

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,
I'm kinda new to digital photography, but have been into photography in general for a while.
It all started when at the tender young age of 11 I decided that I would do more paintings, and as I painted kinda slowly, I figured I'd get a cheap little camera and shoot things that I may want to paint later. It was a Vivitar IC100 (I wouldn't have remembered exactly what kind but I just saw this thread at another forum and it brought back so many fond memories) http://iamsicktoo.multiply.com/reviews/item/1

I got that little Vivitar right at the end of the school year, and by the end of that summer I had the bug,...the shutterbug!
While at the flea market with my family I spotted an old Pentax (something, not the K1000, actually never had one of those) with a few lenses and a bag. The guy wanted 75 bucks for the whole kit, so I began to beg my father, and beg, and beg,...we had almost made it back to the car before I finally broke him down. I was a real photographer now!

I went on to work with the art teacher in middle school doing some random events/sports photography for the yearbook (though I'm sure she was just humoring me) one of my shots from a girl's basketball game actually made it into the yearbook! Later when I was 14 I volunteered with the Soil and Water Conservation Service, in their PR dept. (actually had my own cubicle, with a window!) and got to use some of their cameras that were actually decent (a Canon AE-1, I know not THAT decent, but the other one they loaned me was an Olympus OM4t, that was a great camera) and learned a lot working with Jodi Christensen my "handler".

It wasn't too awful long after that,when I was 16, I worked over the summer in Snelling Dining Hall on campus at UGA washing dishes. I was working and savig for two things, a Nikon FG with two lenses that a guy in the camera club I was in had stoed away in a closet, and a tripod. But not just ANY tripod, no, a brand spankin' new Bogen 3021, w/ 3047 head.
I took the photography courses offered at my high school, and a few courses through Continuing Education at UGA. My instructor (Les Suacier) said that I had a great eye.

Living with a family of 5 in a 2 bedroom, 1 bath single wide mobile home made it difficult to set up a darkroom, but I would not let that stop me. I spent many nights inside that tiny bathroom, developing my own negs, and making prints from old negs that my Grandma had in boxes in her basement.
I was, by this time deeply in love with photography, had subscriptions to Popular Photography, Petersen's Photographic, and ShutterBug. This would last forever I thought, I was on my way to becoming the next Manray, or Adams, or maybe even some of the guys that were working then like Gallen Rowell or Art Wolfe.

Then along came digital,...and soon after my whoole camera bag was stolen when I turned my head at the wrong place wrong time. I could not afford to keep up with modern times,...that was almost ten years ago now.

With digital point and shoot cameras becoming more and more affordable, with "acceptable" quality, and a version of photoshop I picked up from a co-worker for beans, I am beginning to tip my feet into the photo-waters again. And yeah it all comes back at once, the love, the wonder, the "sight", and I am so happy. I can't wait till I can afford a DSLR, some sweet day! LOL

Welcome aboard and back to the joy of taking pictures. Can hardly wait to see some of your pics, when they will be ready.

Hi, and welcome to TPF. How great that you're back into photography...be prepared to get addicted!

Well I actually have some shots that I wouldn't mind showing, IF I can figure out how to upload them to the site here,...do we not use a thumbnails attachment thing ?
Do they have to be hosted on some OTHER site first?

Ok, I stuck some pics on photobucket, and posted a link in general gallery. Let me know what you guys think.

Most reactions

Back