new to forums and pictures with a cheap camera.

reznap

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Only have a fuji finepix s1500 right now... would love a DSLR but I don't have the dough and this is a new interest of mine.

Here's a few samples of what I've been up to. C&C welcome, trying to improve. I try to use manual mode whenever possible.

One of the daughter. Was in color, changed to sepia in photoshop.
bellasepia2.jpg

Since I can only leave the shutter open a maximum of 8 seconds, these types of images are hard to make. This is 8 pictures added together in photoshop with the 'lighten' layer blending style. Made with glow sticks, an idea inspired by a video I saw on youtube, "Lucky" by "All India Radio"

BELLAglow3.jpg

flower.jpg

And a sunset through the treetops the other day.

darkerer2.jpg

I'm honestly not pleased with any of the shots, and the last one here I know I completely botched. Like I said, I want to get better and maybe purchase a real camera if I can develop the skill to warrant it.

Welcome to TPF. You seem to be "going about it the right way" imho.

Photography should be FUN! You shouldn't have to break the proverbial bank and have to spend $1,000.00 on a camera body and another $1,000.00 on a lens to enjoy taking photos. You have a real camera, it just is not an expensive one.

Use whatever you have and learn about your current camera to its full capabilities while you save up for a used DSLR when you can afford it.

Make yourself as good a photographer as you can be with whatever you currently have, so when you do get a better camera, you will be more knowledgeable about it, and ready for it.

Again, welcome to TPF!

Hello :)

I have been doing photography for around 6 months and my first camera was the Fujifinepix S5100, i now have a canon 450D which i have only had for a few weeks, that being said i was amazed at what the Fuji camera could do and at the £45 it cost me.

Keep snapping!! as you go on you will learn lots of new things about it and some of the results you can get are really surprising it was with me!! I think its a great little starter camera here is my flickr page www.flickr.com/photos/merikas, im not fantastic as i am really new but pretty much all of them where taken with the fuji.

Take Care xx

i am still a newbie so i dont really have any c& c for you but I was considering getting a s1500 as i am in the same position as you[cant afford a dslr atm]... i will be interested to see how you progress with this camera

Thanks for the replies everyone. Also, PatrickHMS, good advice. I'm trying to have fun and it's a rewarding hobby for sure. I like sharing so here's a few more.

This was from a recent road trip from Ohio to Massachusetts. Early during the morning while going through NY State I saw this and thought it deserved a picture. I only wish I took more.

fogsun.jpg

Went to the metroparks...

gorge2.jpg

gorge.jpg

I think this is what you guys refer to as an "awkward composition" but I'm posting it anyway.

gorge3.jpg

And experimenting with macro shots.

needles2.jpg

C&C welcomed as always.
-Paul.

Last edited:
Great advice PatrickHMS!

Photography should be fun!! If you use your PS to the best of your ability (and its ability) moving to a DSLR will go smoother. I've seen pics from a DSLR that look worse than most pics from a PS... it's really not the camera in most cases but the photographer - in my humble opinion.

I as well have a Fuji Finepix S1500. I just acquired it. I plan to purchase a better camera down the road, but figure I'll practice first on the Fuji as I am new to this hobby as well. Keep sharing your photos. I look forward to seeing what you can create with your S1500.

Take care,
Amy

Most reactions

New Topics

Back