New to HDR's - how can i improve this photo?? C&C please, thanks!!

bazpaul

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi guys i am quite new to HDR photos and only a year in photography altogether....below is a shot of the 12 apostles in Victoria, Australia.

I took it with -2, 0, +2 EXP and used photomatrix to make HDR. In CS4 i added the -2EXP to make the sun better and add the +2exp to make the sky bluer. i then added, contrast, vibrance and curves and a small but of sharpening!

I think i'm missing something in the photo, Can you tell me what i can do. I would like more brightness, but when i increase brightness it just gets to washed with white i think. i was also thinking of adding a bit of a Vignette manually in CS4, but then thought for a landscape like this i wouldn't need it! i'm not loving the sun, but I think it came out alright. I had no filters on the lens should i have used one? how would i get a better shot of the sun for an image like this??

anyway your expert oppinions would be greatly appreciated!!

Apostles_Horizontal.jpg

Thats a really well done HDR, good job :thumbup:

Cant comment on how to help you out with your request, but I will say I like the shot!!!

Thats a large format print candidate for a living room wall in my opinion.:thumbup:

Only thing I would change if it were me, lens flare on the cliff.

Try using the Shadow/Highlight tool in CS4. I had a quick play, it's by no means perfect and probably a bit harsh but thought it might help. I also added some contrast and a black and white top layer set to hard light.

landb.jpg

omg this picture reminds me of the Goonies. "The rocks line up perfectly!"

pp-doubloon1.jpg

I think the foreground is still a bit underexposed, but it is a nice shot and tastefully processed.

For my tastes, it's to much to dark and lacks the shadow detail I expect from an HDR.

It's to late for this photo but some considerations for the future.

You only used 3 exposures (the minimum for a true HDR) with a 4 EV range for a scene that likely had at least 3 times that or 12 EV, if not more.

That's why you don't have much detail in the cliff or the apostles, which is primarily what an HDR is supposed to provide: detail in the darker parts of the image.

At least 6 exposures of 2 EV each would have provided more detail in the shadows and a bvrighter overall image.

Better yet would have been 9 exposures with the end exposures at 1 EV steps -6 EV, -5, -4, -2, 0, +2, +4, +5, +6 EV. (for the scene you shot I would likely have done 12 exposures)

The way to determine how many exposures you need and at what EV range, spot meter the brightest and darkest parts of the scene to determine the total dynamic range.

Is this more along the lines of what you were thinking of? There's dozens of ways you could adjust the scene, it all comes down to personal taste.

2066853400050224778S600x600Q85.jpg

The sun looks too ood for my taste...

cheers guys thanks for all the input and comments...

Firstly KMH - i have the 500d and you can only take 3 different exposure at once when braketing. and the exposure compensation can only go from -2 ev to +2ev ....now i could take pics at -1ev and +1ev and add them in....that would probably be worth a look.

The only other way i would know of getting down to -4ev would be to figure out what shutter speed or aperture to change to...is this how you would do it?? i know the better canon camera extend down to -5ev and some to even -7ev.....how do i get there???

agoodey - i like your edit of the photo, it is a bit brigther than i would like, but i will add shadow/highlights then just mess with the opacity until it looks good!! cheers good tip

...ohh and can i ask;

does the horizon seem fine to everyone on first glance of this pic???

wow thats nice what did you do there??

cheers guys thanks for all the input and comments...

Firstly KMH - i have the 500d and you can only take 3 different exposure at once when braketing. and the exposure compensation can only go from -2 ev to +2ev ....now i could take pics at -1ev and +1ev and add them in....that would probably be worth a look.

The only other way i would know of getting down to -4ev would be to figure out what shutter speed or aperture to change to...is this how you would do it?? i know the better canon camera extend down to -5ev and some to even -7ev.....how do i get there???

I usually bracket my HDR's manually. I set the aperture and only vary shutter speed so DOF doesn't change.

You can always use 1 EV or 1.5 EV steps, whatever your camera can accommodate. For HDR you basically want to use the extremes of EV your camera can give you, with adequet steps whether you use them all or not in the final image.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back