new to large format

Discussion in 'Medium Format & Large Format' started by denada, Jul 26, 2016.

1. unpopular

unpopular Been spending a lot of time on here!

I'm inclines to agree with Tim Tucker. It's a Linhof branded shutter. It was probably pulled from a Linhof board with a release cable that attaches to the board.

I don't think anything is missing. It's just a weird configuration.

2. denada

denada No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    the thing from gk fotografie's post used to be there. i can see the outline of where it used to be attached. i can see it on other pictures of the lens on google image search. either fell off during field use or was removed for use on another lens.

i'll try those two sources for another. thanks, sparky.

3. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

I used to load my film holders and developing tanks using a changing bag. You put the stuff in the bag, close it up and put your arms through the sleeves. It provides an inexpensive and light tight environment to handle things that require absolute darkness. You should acquire one. Not expensive.

My favorite large format developing tanks were rectangular plastic affairs with about a dozen slots. You took the top off, loaded the sheets-one per slot-and then replaced the top. At that point you could develop in a lighted room.

4. denada

Photos OK to edit
    the paterson tank is absurdly cheap feeling. long as it works well i suppose.

is a loupe for focusing any different than a loupe for slide film? i can get one for like 10 bucks if not. if i specially need a "focusing loupe," they're like 10x more expensive. i'm also interested in not buying things twice, so if i should just shell out the $100 now i'd appreciate that advice. if i should get "focusing" loupe, any advice on 4x vs 8x? i don't get to try them out first because my local camera store minimally caters to analog. edit: oh, i see Tim Tucket specifically says "focusing." maybe i'll regret not listening, but it'll only be $15 of regret. going with the Peak 5x Round Stand Magnifier for now.(Peak 5x Round Stand Magnifier 1301960 B&H Photo Video)

any reason to buy a dark/focusing cloth for $70 instead of stopping by the fabric store?

thanks!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  5. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A simple 4x loupe should suffice. You'll want one made for LF as the rim is a softer material and won't scratch your GG.

You can make your own dark cloth given you (or someone you know) possess sufficient sewing skills.

6. Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You can use the cheaper viewing loupes, BUT...

You have to be careful as they are fixed focus and may focus on the back of the glass screen instead of the front. Try them without focussing an image and see if you can resolve the ground glass on the inside. If you can then all's well. Proper focussing loupes are adjustable.

I use an 8x which is about the limit of useful magnification, anything more and you'll have problems.

7. denada

Photos OK to edit

giving it a try. if it doesn't work, there are a few options on ebay around the $100 mark.

don't know much about it, but just bought a Fujinon W 150mm f/5.6.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016