New to Mac

mikesphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello!

I am waiting for my new iMac to arrive! I've been PC based but finally made the move! Any tips or tricks you can share would be awesome!

Thanks!

hold shift and minimize any of your open screens!!!!! pretty cool

Devise a way to use the color-coding or "labeling" feature of Mac OS to help you recognize the status of files,without the need to open them. Go to file, and pull down to label,and you can assign seven colored labels, plus no label, for a total of eight different labels. You, the user, can assign the color values and the names, if any, associated with the colored labels.

For example: let's say you have a folder holding forty-five days' worth of downloads; after series of folders have been backed up to the back-up drive, you might label them light blue; after they have been burned to a DVD, you could label them dark blue; dark blue folders seen on a DVD disc--that would tell you that the disc contains folders that were ALREADY burned to another disc.

Green folders can be unedited folders; edited folders can be labeled red; choice select files can be labeled as orange files. You can organize and search by color label under Mac OS--this is a huge advantage, since it allows you to characterize files by "property" or "type" or "status", even though the files might be of different types entirely. If you ever run low on hard disk space, you can search for dark blue files--those files, no matter what their name, will already have been backed up AND burned off to CD or DVD discs--meaning they could easily be deleted to make space.

Last edited:
Devise a way to use the color-coding or "labeling" feature of Mac OS to help you recognize the status of files,without the need to open them. Go to file, and pull down to label,and you can assign seven colored labels, plus no label, for a total of eight different labels. You, the user, can assign the color values and the names, if any, associated with the colored labels.

For example: let's say you have a folder holding forty-five days' worth of downloads; after series of folders have been backed up to the back-up drive, you might label them light blue; after they have been burned to a DVD, you could label them dark blue; dark blue folders seen on a DVD disc--that would tell you that the disc contains folders that were ALREADY burned to another disc.

Green folders can be unedited folders; edited folders can be labeled red; choice select files can be labeled as orange files. You can organize and search by color label under Mac OS--this is a huge advantage, since it allows you to characterize files by "property" or "type" or "status", even though the files might be of different types entirely. If you ever run low on hard disk space, you can search for dark blue files--those files, no matter what their name, will already have been backed up AND burned off to CD or DVD discs--meaning they could easily be deleted to make space.

That's a really, really great idea! You kind of just blew my mind.

+1 to the shift tip.

Also, don't use your desktop like you would on Windows. Keep it clean, use folders if you have to put things on the desktop.

Apart from that, have fun !

By the way, I've made several OS X / Mac videos on youtube if your interested.
Hope its okay to post the link : http://www.youtube.com/user/christm3

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Welcome to the cool club! And what is this "PC" you speak of? :)
No real tips to offer, just congratulating you on the move - my raw photo editing was what prompted my own switch (became sick of the Windows crashing and freezing) and I haven't looked back since. (Boy, do I sound like a fan-boy...)

Remember that if you have several windows open, you can use the side tabs on your mouse to shrink all windows on the screen so that you can choose whichever one you want to have out front.

Download Quicksilver:
Blacktree

It's a great tool. Period.

Open it and set it to start on startup. It's default call is ctrl + space. You start typing what you're looking for an it finds it. It can be a document, a program, a file, a photo, a song, or anything on your computer. Press enter and it opens the file.

This is similar functionality to a built in feature or OS X, but it doesn't stop there. From the quicksilver search and launch bar, you can direct what you want done with a file. If you want to print a document without having to open it, you can search for the document and choose print. Play songs, change resoltions, etc...

Quick reference PDF:
http://mysite.verizon.net/hmelman/QSRef.pdf

Manual:
http://mysite.verizon.net/hmelman/Quicksilver.pdf

Hello!

I am waiting for my new iMac to arrive! I've been PC based but finally made the move! Any tips or tricks you can share would be awesome!

Thanks!

If you are really really used to Windoze, you will have difficulty with one aspect. The functions performed by the Control and Alt/Command keys are reversed. (The Mac key that's physically in the same location as the Windoze Alt key is called Command on a Mac.) For example, to Save on a Windoze machine, you hold down the Control key and press "S" but, on a Mac, you hold down the Command key and press "S."

Remember that if you have several windows open, you can use the side tabs on your mouse to shrink all windows on the screen so that you can choose whichever one you want to have out front.
I hold the apple key and hit tab to cycle through my open programs. That trick also works on Windows.

Also, if you hold the control button and scroll up on the mouse wheel you zoom in on the screen.

Most reactions

Back