New (to me) flash question

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by rokclmb, Mar 14, 2010.

1. rokclmb

rokclmb TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I just picked up an old (1981) canon speedlite 188A. I just got started being interested in photography in December when my wife and I got our T1i. Should I be ok using this flash on my new camera? Is there anything that I should know about setting it? I'm still looking online for an instruction manual for it, so I haven't been able to figure it out too much yet.

Thanks for your help.

2. LBPhotog

LBPhotog TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That flash will sync (aka fire with the shutter of your camera) but that's about it I believe ... You'll have to do all your calculations manually. This flash is going to make you think (and that's not necessarily a bad idea)

3. rokclmb

rokclmb TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for the quick reply. What type of calculations will I need to do? On the flash I can set the ASA (I'm guessing that is the ISO on my camera) and also set it for F2.8 / F5.6 / Manual (whick I'm guessing should match the setting in my camera.

4. LBPhotog

LBPhotog TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    correct, you'll have to figure out the distance to the subject. It's a pretty simple formula.

Guide number / Aperture Value = Distance to Subject (this is at iso 100 ... different ISO will give you a different calculation ... )

5. rokclmb

rokclmb TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks