New to MF got a bunch to use

myfotoguy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently received a few MF cameras (also a bunch of 35mm and lenses but I have that for the most part figured out).

I'm open to any comments and thoughts, experiences, etc. that you may have.

I'll probably try all the gear, but included my initial thoughts below, which may change if any of you have comments or experiences to share, and of course once I start using the gear (film is on its way).

Pentax 6 x 7 and the following lenses:
105mm f/2.4 Takumar
135mm f/4 Macro Takumar
165mm f/2.8

Intersting, kind of large for what I want to lug around in addition to my digital gear. But what about the potential results, is this a "really" good set of gear that I should consider more seriously?

Mamiya RB67 and the following lenses:
Mamiya Sekor 90mm f/3.8
Mamiya Sekor 180mm f/4.5
Also, a few backs, one a Polaroid.

A little bigger than I think I want to work with.

Mamiya M645 1000s with:
Mamiya Sekor C 80mm f/2.8
a bracket/grip to make hand holding easier.

This one looks like a nice size, and format to work with. Too bad only one lens, but that is a standard focal length for MF, right?

Rollei TLR 3,5F - I received two of these. One of them in Excellent+ to Mint condition. The other a bit worn. (can I just glue the leather back down with super glue?)

This looks to me like the most fun to use. A few accessories (pistol grip, a panning pivot thing, hoods). Should the mint one be saved and not used (collectors item?). I suppose I'll run a roll through it at least. The meters seem accurate on both.

Last edited:
No, don't use Super Glue or Krazy Glue to reattach body coverings on cameras--I think both of those glue formulations give off gasses as they age... that is to say, they "out-gas"or "off-gas", and that can leave a haze on filters and lenses.

Wow!! I wouldn't mind receiving some of that fantastic gear!! What is your secret? Anyway, about the cameras, I can't give you a good comparison, but I can tell you that the Mamiya 645 is a wonderful system to work with. It has some great lenses and I have gotten some of my best shots with my 1000s. There is an 80mm f/1.9 lens available for that system that is really nice for low light situations. If you can get your hands on one it is well worth it! If you need any accessories for it, KEH carries a pretty decent selection of viewfinders that are priced well, but I'd say their lenses for that system are overpriced. I hope you enjoy your new toys.

holy canoli, did you rob a vintage camera store?!

great loot! i also just picked up a rollei myself. the best thing to do is shoot and shoot, practice with different films, and get them developed. there's not much difference shooting in medium format in comparison to 35mm. it'll just be bigger!

the only thing you'd have to get accustomed to is shooting with the rollei's because they are 6x6. shooting in square is quite artistic.

Get yourself a decent light-meter. Are you into nature photography? The Pentax 67 and Taks are really worth your time.

Hey folks, thanks for your replies. I plan to use these for landscape/cityscape. I'll start off with the lenses I have and take it from there. I doubt I'll keep all of it, although that is tempting. I have a couple light meters, not sure how good they are, but will learn as I go, using my digital SLR to check myself in the field at the start until I see the results from my first couple rolls of film. These all take 120 roll film, correct?

The light meters are a Pentax Spotmeter V and a Gossen Ultra-Pro (never used them before either, but downloaded the manuals).

I sent the Rollei's off for CLA to a highly recommended repair shop (Krimar Photo Shop in NU). I ordered new seal kits for everything else from a recommended guy named Jon Goodman (goes by Interslice on eBay). I have had great experiences with both of these places so far, really great actually.

These (and a bunch of Pentax 35mm gear and many various other photographic accessories) were given to me from my aunt, after my uncle recently passed away. I can't even being to express how thankful I am to have received this gear, and the joy it brings tuning and cleaning the gear up to use it.

So, here are a couple pictures, I don't know if you're interested in seeing these or not, but here it goes. (a couple 35mm I have not said much about here, a Rollei TLR and the Pentax 6x7).

I suppose at some time I'll get pictures of the rest of the gear, and redo these in a less formal setting. Any ideas how to take nice "record" shots of your gear? I'm thinking outside someplace by a lake, a creek, a stone wall with foliage in the background ???

More here: Timothy Bury Photography | Cameras

Pentax LX

p899343097-4.jpg

Pentax MX
p840344837-4.jpg

Rollei 3,5F
p416658222-4.jpg

p14226071-4.jpg

Pentax 6x7
p38261600-4.jpg

p25810837-4.jpg

OMG that Rollei is GORJUS. I've always wanted one, but just couldn't justify the thousands of dollars for one.

I have used a Pentax 6x7 before and love it. It is not for the weak though, it is a BIG CHUNK of metal and glass!!!! Plus you definitely have to lock the mirror up if shooting below 1/15 sec or you could get unsharp images because the mirror slap is pretty substantial!

If you ever get a penchant to sell the Pentax gear, DROP ME A LINE, I pay top dollah, GI ! ;)

Most reactions

Back