New to nature questions

Dave127

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went out today to try my hand at nature shots. As usual I came back with more questions than answers. I live in a very populated suburb and was surprised at what animals I was able to find in a small park by my house. I even surprised a red fox when I stepped on a twig about 5 feet from where he was sleeping or hiding. I don’t know who was more surprised and unfortunately couldn’t get the camera raised in time to get the shot off.
When I got home and down load my shots, I was surprised at how few I would actually keep or show. I was using a Canon 30D, 100-400 4.5-5.6 IS, circular polarizer and a mono pod.

1 I had a lot of blur even with the mono pod. Is there a good way to hold/stabilize the camera? Or is a tri pod a must?

2 Some of the shots in shaded areas look green. Should I have removed the polarizer?

3 What ISO? I was shooting at 100 but I think I should have raised it to allow for a faster shutter helping with the blur and stopping the animals movement.

I should also state that this was the first time I’ve used this lens.

Any advise is appreciated. Thanks Dave

hmm lets have a look at some of your keepers if we may.
As general advice you can get away with the cannon 100-400 hand held if you turn on the image stabalization feature (don't turn it on when using a tirpod though as then it looks for the little movements that are not present and makes the shot blurry - this might or might not also happen when using it on a monopod)

2) Unless you are shooting at the sky a lot I would take off the polarizer.

3) ISO increase light senstivity - the higher the ISO the more light gets into the shot (poor explination). For still landscapes and buildings 100 is the best. For wildlife I would look to 400 - boosting to 800 at times when you are not in the brightest of light. You might get more noise in these shots, but you can remove a good amout in post production.

Also what mode were you shooting in? ap - apature priority mode is really the best - with apature as wide as you can (that means the smallest f number you have).

hmm lets have a look at some of your keepers if we may.
As general advice you can get away with the cannon 100-400 hand held if you turn on the image stabalization feature (don't turn it on when using a tirpod though as then it looks for the little movements that are not present and makes the shot blurry - this might or might not also happen when using it on a monopod)

2) Unless you are shooting at the sky a lot I would take off the polarizer.

3) ISO increase light senstivity - the higher the ISO the more light gets into the shot (poor explination). For still landscapes and buildings 100 is the best. For wildlife I would look to 400 - boosting to 800 at times when you are not in the brightest of light. You might get more noise in these shots, but you can remove a good amout in post production.

Also what mode were you shooting in? ap - apature priority mode is really the best - with apature as wide as you can (that means the smallest f number you have).

Thanks I’m working on uploading the photos to show what I’m talking about.

I thought the polarizer was bad and should have left a UV filter on instead.

I was shooting in manual mode and I have left the aperture as low as it would go, 4.5-5.6 depending on the focal length. I also have a 70-200 2.8 IS and so far love it a lot more. I bought this lens for the extra reach because I didn’t want to use an extender to keep better Image quality.

The IS was on mode one.

hmm I have decided to get a 70-200 f2.8 IS and use the teleconverters for it - granted its a lower quality, esp when using the 2*TC - but it should keep me going till I can get my mits on a 300 f2.8 --long times away though!

I would move out of manual (a little too easy at time to get the shutter speed wrong when walking about and changing conditions) and use ap.
As for filters - might be a better idea to set your exposure compensation (when working in ap mode or adjusting setting in manual) to -1 to counter the harsher daylight and preserve the whites better
Out of interst are you shooting in RAW mode?

hmm I have decided to get a 70-200 f2.8 IS and use the teleconverters for it - granted its a lower quality, esp when using the 2*TC - but it should keep me going till I can get my mits on a 300 f2.8 --long times away though!

I would move out of manual (a little too easy at time to get the shutter speed wrong when walking about and changing conditions) and use ap.
As for filters - might be a better idea to set your exposure compensation (when working in ap mode or adjusting setting in manual) to -1 to counter the harsher daylight and preserve the whites better
Out of interst are you shooting in RAW mode?

Yes I shout in Raw. I did have to adjust the shuter for varing light conditions. Between walking in and out of the light, and clouds off and on, I was looking at the meter.

I thought about getting a 1.4 and may wish I did. I was hoping to use this new lens for out door sports action but I don't know now.

I'm working on a web site, but don't have one yet. I need to host the pictures to post them up.

Another possibility is that your lens may go soft at its full focal length (400mm). Don't know the specs of it, but it is not an uncommon trait.

Perhaps I should start trying Av and Tv priority more often....mmmm....I stay in Manual 99% of the time.

Try http://photobucket.com/
for hosting your photo - works well and simple to upload to (batch uploading is great!)

The 70-200mm only performs as well as the 100-400 at the 400mm end when stopped down to f8 so you have a good light advantage with the 100-400. One thing I would recomend though is to get some 100% crops of about 100pixels on the longest side from the edge and middle of your 100-400 and ask for some comparisons from others with that lens as I have known the 100-400 to suffer from some configuration errors in production. Its nothing massive most of the time and I belive that canon will correct it within warrenty or under some other such thing (never done this myself, but it was something that I considered doing with the 100-400)
Also its not a problem that has been around much in recent years - more something that bugged early models so don't fret!

Well lets give this a try. I hope they are sized correctly.

This was one of the last photos I took.
2549936232_24fb433006.jpg

Over exposed from the sun I believe on the top of the shell.

2549936206_777ea6338b.jpg

This on is a little blury in my opinion.
2549936176_aa9a61f510.jpg

This on was had to get. He/she kept going under and the sheel was about 1 1/2 feet long. I will keep working on him.
2549109447_2f1d35ea02.jpg

Give me your honest opinions. I know I have work to do and want to hear what I need to work on. Thanks

Try http://photobucket.com/
for hosting your photo - works well and simple to upload to (batch uploading is great!)

The 70-200mm only performs as well as the 100-400 at the 400mm end when stopped down to f8 so you have a good light advantage with the 100-400. One thing I would recomend though is to get some 100% crops of about 100pixels on the longest side from the edge and middle of your 100-400 and ask for some comparisons from others with that lens as I have known the 100-400 to suffer from some configuration errors in production. Its nothing massive most of the time and I belive that canon will correct it within warrenty or under some other such thing (never done this myself, but it was something that I considered doing with the 100-400)
Also its not a problem that has been around much in recent years - more something that bugged early models so don't fret!

Thanks I just started a flikr site for now.

I appreciate the vote of confidence in the 100-400. I would hate to think I didn't spend the money wisely. I just may do that.

Different lens from 2 weeks ago. 24-70 2.8.

Yeah I know it looks like I have a thing for turtles. I assure you it's just a coincidence. :wink:

2550047948_2b743f62c5.jpg

2549222031_40465b6bd0.jpg

2550047926_0043ef84f0.jpg

Another possibility is that your lens may go soft at its full focal length (400mm). Don't know the specs of it, but it is not an uncommon trait.

Perhaps I should start trying Av and Tv priority more often....mmmm....I stay in Manual 99% of the time.

I was experimenting today and can see the lens going soft a little at 400. I removed the filter and the discoloration is gone. I also cranked the ISO to 800 but I still have some blurry shots at farther focal lengths. I need to control my movement better.

Those are the cutest turtles ever! those are quite amazing, I want to hold it! Amazing. what time of year did you get these, and where, just on a shore? I would love to go find some turtle hatchlings to photograph.

Those are the cutest turtles ever! those are quite amazing, I want to hold it! Amazing. what time of year did you get these, and where, just on a shore? I would love to go find some turtle hatchlings to photograph.

Thanks. I was at the Jersey shore for Memorial Day weekend with my 10 year old son and nephew. I was teaching my nephew how to ride a bike running up and down the street. My son, who was getting in the way, says “dad I found a baby turtle” I was like now way that’s a rock in the road. I almost stepped on/kicked it a dozen times. But obviously he was right. It was crossing the road from houses going across the street to the marsh. I looked but couldn’t find the nest or any others. I took the some pictures on the sand to put the turtle into perspective, but wish I used a quarter. It was tiny. My wife and son wanted to take him home, but I felt it would have been cruel, besides we have enough animals/pets. LOL

Most reactions

New Topics

Back