New to Nikon D40

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Pappywolf, May 22, 2009.

1. Pappywolf

Pappywolf TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hello, I am new to digital cameras. I have a Nikon D40 with a Tamron 70-300. Great camera. My old camera was a Pentex SLR. So... Will all Nikon type lens fit this camera. I understand about the auto focus deal. I have no problem with using manual mode. I am used to that with my Pentex. Thanks for your time.

2. NitroDC

NitroDC TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No, you have to have certain lenses for certain cameras with Nikon. You could've stayed with Pentax, bought a DSLR and used your old pentax lenses, because they are all compatible with all Pentax cameras, regardless if they're an SLR or DSLR.

3. Al-Wazeer

Al-Wazeer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    well the D40 has no problems with old lenses except the autofocus, despite of that the lenses work properly with the camera

4. krayon

krayon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Older lenses will mount up to the D40, but if they do not have the CPU connection then you cannot use the Meetering in the camera. So you will be doing a lot of Trial and Error to get your exposure down. I have several lenses that are like this, and mainly use them in my lightbox where the exposure is not likely to change that drastically.

If you get a AF lens then it should have the CPU connections so your Meeter will work, but not the AutoFocus part.

5. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Say what? Could you be a bit more specific?

Nikon has been using the F-mount for a long time now. True, as krayon mentioned, if you put an older lens, devoid the proper elecronics, on any of today's Nikon's they will not meter and possibly not auto focus either.