New to photo *lens help*

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by nicdutcher, Feb 21, 2010.

  1. nicdutcher

    nicdutcher TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2010
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I recently received an olympus e500 from a family member and im looking to get into macro photography and i have no clue where to start when looking for a macro lens. So any recommendations of a macro lens i could buy for my camera would be much appreciated :)
     
  2. KmH

    KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2009
    Messages:
    38,233
    Likes Received:
    5,007
    Location:
    Iowa
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'd start at the Olympus web site, myself.

    The other problem you'll run into is 85% of all dSLR owners use Nikon or Canon. Olympus, Pentax, Sony, Sigma, Fuji, and all the others make up the remaining 15% of the market.

    That means your choices among 3rd party lens makers is slim because it's not worth it to them invest the time and effort to reverse engineer for that very fragmented 15% of the market.

    To make it worse, there are not as many people that can give you knowledgeable advice, since only 3-5 of every 100 photographers use Olympus gear.

    The major 3rd party lens makers are Sigma, Tamron and Tokina.
     
  3. Overread

    Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

    Joined:
    May 1, 2008
    Messages:
    23,099
    Likes Received:
    3,765
    Location:
    UK - England
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    On the bonus sides I belive Sigma make some good macro lenses for the Olympus mount (I'm not sure which ones) and the smaller sensor that Olympus use gives you an advantage over the rest of us - you get a bit more depth of field (area of a photograph in focus) for your given apertures on the lens.

    SteB is a macro photographer I know who (along with his canon MPE setup) also uses an Olympus setup for the extra depth of field
    Flickr: steb1's Photostream
    if you're on flickr drop him a note and ask him for some input
     
  4. Dao

    Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2008
    Messages:
    6,252
    Likes Received:
    418
    Location:
    St. Louis

Share This Page