New to photographing pets...have questions about focus settings

Submariner1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi!

I'm wondering what the beginning auto-focus settings would be when photographing slow moving animals with my Nikon D610 w/Nikon 70-300 AF-P VR. I believe I would use AF-C w/d39 along with VR Sport on the lens? Is there a trick to always getting the face/head in focus while the animal is moving which is my main goal? Should lens be able to give me sharp shots in bright sunlight?

If you could post an image we may be able to help better but here's a shot in the dark.
Not familiar with the specific gear so I am assuming that this lens will give sharp images.

Yes it should be able to get sharp focus in bright sunlight. For shooting moving animals AF-C sounds correct.
Unsure of what d39 is but I am guessing its how many focus points you are using. If this is the case then that is likely the main problem. I would select a single centre focus point. Practice there.
Once you get used to this you can move the focus point in order reframe the image i.e. animal moving left to right you may wish to place the focus point in the right third of the frame.

Hope this helps.

I dunno...you might try the 11-AF point option. I've found my D610 to be all over the place as far as where it will lock focus using the 39-point option on action subjects. As far as VR...I try NOT to use VR on shutter speeds of 1/500 secomnd or faster, like 1/800 or 1/1000; at the faster speeds, I've found that VR can at times, cause a weird feedback loop, which can really, really hurt sharpness. At fast speeds, VR can be detrimental, not helpful.

Look into Thom Hogan's articles" for more information.

The older one is here Nikon VR explained

And updated stuff here: An Update on VR and IS Systems | DSLRBodies | Thom Hogan

If you always want to get the face/head in focus then always focus on the face/head. ie, take control of your focusing system. Don't use a wide spread 39 pt system, use 11 or less. Single point will give *you* the exact control of where to focus versus everything else you let the *computer in the camera* to select it's own focus point, which more often than not is *not* the one you would use.

Also don't forget an appropriate aperture to get an appropriate depth of field.

And since they are "slow moving" but still MOVING, then use a higher shutter speed so you don't get any motion blur.

How are you liking the 70-300/4.5-5.6 AF-P FX lens ?
The new AF-P lenses are apparently super sharp, but you still need the appropriate Shutter Speed and Aperture and over-all technique to get sharp images.

Normally I take my pictures with natural light, because whenever I try to photograph anything furry inside. [such as my brat pets lol] I get the crummiest shots. I can't remember if I read it, but I don't think so.
How would I be able to take shots inside without using natural light, and still getting a good shot?
You can't put up big lamps and stuff for unexpected photoshoots. And even with lamps it's terrible.
Help?

Most reactions

Back