New to photography and looking for critiques of my work so far...

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by Lucidperth, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Lucidperth

Lucidperth TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Marta4.jpg Rosie1web.jpg Roxy8b (1).jpg Blainy6web.jpg Grace4web.jpg Bridgette1.jpg Louise5.jpg Jamie2WS.jpg Jamie6.jpg Sophie6ws.jpg Hi everyone,

I bought my first camera in April and have just notched up my 10th shoot. So much to learn but I'm hooked! I'd appreciate any feedback people can give on my shots, I've posted one from each shoot I've done in the order I took them.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

2. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Pick one or two for us to critique.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Cody'sCaptures

Cody'sCaptures No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Nice progression! May I ask, where/how did you get these shoots set-up? I'm still so un-confident on my work, still too afraid to reach out to people. Suppose you just gotta rip off the band-aid at some point

4. Lucidperth

Lucidperth TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I joined a few Facebook pages and use StarNow, I find StarNow a great resource, every time I have posted an idea for a shoot on there I have had at least 40 applications. Thanks for your comment ☺

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Lucidperth

Lucidperth TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ah ok, sorry I wasn't sure how this worked. The last two are my most recent shots so any advice there would be great, thanks.

6. Cody'sCaptures

Cody'sCaptures No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Both look like slightly missed focus... The silhouette might just have gotten soft with noise reduction? The beach shot perhaps too shallow dof and is overexposed a bit. I really like the posing overall

7. Lucidperth

Lucidperth TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks Cody...in the original silhouette image the windows were dirty and you could see the building behind, through increasing shadowing and exposure I may have lost some sharpness from the shot.
    I also agree that in the beach shot if I'd closed the aperture a little it would have resulted in a better lit shot and a deeper depth of field.
    I appreciate the advice ☺

8. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    So are these people paying you? Are your subjects pleased/satisfied with the results? Are you presenting yourself as a professional photographer? Do you have any specific questions on any of these?

9. Lucidperth

Lucidperth TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for your reply Designer. I haven't been paid for any of the shoots, they were all done with new or fairly new models on a TF basis for portfolio building. I'm definitely not presenting myself as a professional, it's not something I'm looking to do as a career, maybe a part time thing if I ever get to a high enough standard.
    The subjects seemed pleased with the results, but they were all relatively new to modelling so didn't have much basis for comparison.
    I guess I'm looking for any guidance about things I'm doing right or wrong, and obvious mistakes that beginners make, or any simple changes I should be aware of for future shoots.

10. Dean_Gretsch

Dean_Gretsch TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You have great timing on the last shot ( the surf is just almost at her hand ) but it does seem a little overexposed to me on my laptop which I have not calibrated. I really like the pose of the one prior to that. It is just a bit dark.

11. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Overall, I see a lack of depth of field on these shots; in my opinion, most of these would be made better if there were more depth of field,meaning more of the entire person shown in sharp,clear,crisp focus.

12. Lucidperth

Lucidperth TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Thanks Dean, it's a great point you make about the exposure, when editing I'm not sure at what screen brightness to adjust exposure. So I put it at 50% brightness (I have a Macbook Pro), this clearly isn't the right way to do it as a few people have mentioned the exposure on this shot. I actually was trying to create a silhouette effect in the window shot, I purposely didn't make it a complete silhouette so that the shot had more depth to it, there must be a better way to execute the shot but at my skill level I'm not sure what that is!

• Like Like x 1