New to photography and looking for critiques of my work so far...

Lucidperth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
lucidphotographyperth.myportfolio.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Marta4.jpg
Rosie1web.jpg
Roxy8b (1).jpg
Blainy6web.jpg
Grace4web.jpg
Bridgette1.jpg
Louise5.jpg
Jamie2WS.jpg
Jamie6.jpg
Sophie6ws.jpg
Hi everyone,

I bought my first camera in April and have just notched up my 10th shoot. So much to learn but I'm hooked! I'd appreciate any feedback people can give on my shots, I've posted one from each shoot I've done in the order I took them.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Pick one or two for us to critique.

Nice progression! May I ask, where/how did you get these shoots set-up? I'm still so un-confident on my work, still too afraid to reach out to people. Suppose you just gotta rip off the band-aid at some point

Nice progression! May I ask, where/how did you get these shoots set-up? I'm still so un-confident on my work, still too afraid to reach out to people. Suppose you just gotta rip off the band-aid at some point

I joined a few Facebook pages and use StarNow, I find StarNow a great resource, every time I have posted an idea for a shoot on there I have had at least 40 applications. Thanks for your comment ☺

Both look like slightly missed focus... The silhouette might just have gotten soft with noise reduction? The beach shot perhaps too shallow dof and is overexposed a bit. I really like the posing overall

Both look like slightly missed focus... The silhouette might just have gotten soft with noise reduction? The beach shot perhaps too shallow dof and is overexposed a bit. I really like the posing overall

Thanks Cody...in the original silhouette image the windows were dirty and you could see the building behind, through increasing shadowing and exposure I may have lost some sharpness from the shot.
I also agree that in the beach shot if I'd closed the aperture a little it would have resulted in a better lit shot and a deeper depth of field.
I appreciate the advice ☺

I bought my first camera in April and have just notched up my 10th shoot.

I joined a few Facebook pages and use StarNow, I find StarNow a great resource, every time I have posted an idea for a shoot on there I have had at least 40 applications.
So are these people paying you? Are your subjects pleased/satisfied with the results? Are you presenting yourself as a professional photographer? Do you have any specific questions on any of these?

I bought my first camera in April and have just notched up my 10th shoot.

I joined a few Facebook pages and use StarNow, I find StarNow a great resource, every time I have posted an idea for a shoot on there I have had at least 40 applications.
So are these people paying you? Are your subjects pleased/satisfied with the results? Are you presenting yourself as a professional photographer? Do you have any specific questions on any of these?

Thanks for your reply Designer. I haven't been paid for any of the shoots, they were all done with new or fairly new models on a TF basis for portfolio building. I'm definitely not presenting myself as a professional, it's not something I'm looking to do as a career, maybe a part time thing if I ever get to a high enough standard.
The subjects seemed pleased with the results, but they were all relatively new to modelling so didn't have much basis for comparison.
I guess I'm looking for any guidance about things I'm doing right or wrong, and obvious mistakes that beginners make, or any simple changes I should be aware of for future shoots.

You have great timing on the last shot ( the surf is just almost at her hand ) but it does seem a little overexposed to me on my laptop which I have not calibrated. I really like the pose of the one prior to that. It is just a bit dark.

Overall, I see a lack of depth of field on these shots; in my opinion, most of these would be made better if there were more depth of field,meaning more of the entire person shown in sharp,clear,crisp focus.

You have great timing on the last shot ( the surf is just almost at her hand ) but it does seem a little overexposed to me on my laptop which I have not calibrated. I really like the pose of the one prior to that. It is just a bit dark.

Thanks Dean, it's a great point you make about the exposure, when editing I'm not sure at what screen brightness to adjust exposure. So I put it at 50% brightness (I have a Macbook Pro), this clearly isn't the right way to do it as a few people have mentioned the exposure on this shot. I actually was trying to create a silhouette effect in the window shot, I purposely didn't make it a complete silhouette so that the shot had more depth to it, there must be a better way to execute the shot but at my skill level I'm not sure what that is!

Overall, I see a lack of depth of field on these shots; in my opinion, most of these would be made better if there were more depth of field,meaning more of the entire person shown in sharp,clear,crisp focus.

Thanks Derrel, the depth of field is something I found hard to judge. In the studio shots on a neutral background there is obviously no requirement. In the graffiti shot I wanted the grafitti to be clear and visable, obviously as you say that takes the focus away from the model slightly. The guitar and beach shot was hard because they were right against the background making DoF impossible (I assume), however with the rest I definitely agree a shallower depth of field would have enhanced the model.

Thanks Dean, it's a great point you make about the exposure, when editing I'm not sure at what screen brightness to adjust exposure. So I put it at 50% brightness (I have a Macbook Pro), this clearly isn't the right way to do it as a few people have mentioned the exposure on this shot. I actually was trying to create a silhouette effect in the window shot, I purposely didn't make it a complete silhouette so that the shot had more depth to it, there must be a better way to execute the shot but at my skill level I'm not sure what that is!

You need to calibrate your monitor.

You need to calibrate your monitor.

Awesome thanks 480, I'll do a google search and do that today!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back