New To Photography And The Forum

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by Nikonthoughtless150, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Nikonthoughtless150

Nikonthoughtless150 TPF Noob!

Hello guys, I've been interested in photography for awhile now. But I never pulled through with it. So not to long ago i applied for a grant, went too photography class and even though there were loner cameras i wanted my own. I did some research and read some photo magazines. They all seem to point at the nikon D5000 for a very user friendly camera and best bang for your buck. I went to best buy and picked up the camera that came with a 18-55 mm lens. Ive been really happy with it. As I try to learn more and more about cameras i guess its natural for everyone but im always wanting better. The other day i stopped in at best buy once again and saw a nikon D300s and i almost had my face pushing up agaisnt the glass display case. I think they may be my next camera of choice. What do you guys think ? D5000 ok camera ? or do you prefer something other than Nikon? I personally have been raised around Nikon because my mother was a photographer and she always was using Nikon. I guess i just feel more natural with a Nikon in my hands than a Cannon. I noticed majority of photographers use Cannon ? i was wondering why that it ?

Anyways, sorry if this is too long of a post.

Thanks !!

-Kody

2. Robin Usagani

Robin Usagani Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Canon ususally the one who come up with new things. Usually the lens are a little cheaper too. You cant go wrong with either Nikon or Canon. A lot of people buy entry level canon because it has decent video capability.

3. myfotoguy

myfotoguy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Kody, wlecome to TPF! :)

I would hold off on the upgrade until you know you need additional features (many you may not use). I would put that money toward lenses first. Once you have progressed and got a lens or two, you will know if a different body makes sense.

The D5000 is fantastic, loved by many. Enjoy it and keep learning! :)

4. Nikonthoughtless150

I noticed when i was looking at the cannons, there lens did seem very light almost as if there was no quality to them.

Thanks ! yeah I really want a lens that has a wider range of zooming, i was looking at one that was 55 to 200 mm it seems pretty nice. It was a nikon lens. Are there aftermarket company lenses that will fit on nikons ? or is it just a good idea to just stick with nikon ?

5. myfotoguy

myfotoguy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    There are aftermarket companies that do fit Nikon. The thing is, you need to be sure to get one with a built in focus motor in it so that it will auto-focus on your D5000.

If budget allows, nothing wrong with building a kit on only Nikon glass. However, 3rd party makes great lgass too, it just depends on what model and your specific needs.
    I use Nikon, Tokina nd Tamron. Actually, a Tamron 17-50 2.8 is my most used lens. I bought the Tokina for ultra wide (11-16) not sure they have one with built in motor though. Regardless, you have a few optinos for ultra wide anyway.

As far as 55-200, I would only consider the VR version. It's a good lens, great value for the money. If you can, the 70-300 has better Vibration Reduction, reaches further, and has better IQ.

6. Nikonthoughtless150

ill definitely look into those companies.. and i haven't been using auto focus, I have the camera on all manual mode including the lens it self.

7. Nikonthoughtless150

i noticed people were posting photos and i love threads with photos so i figured id post some pics that ive taken with te D5000. Tell me what you think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. DeGenova

DeGenova TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey all I am from NH , a mom of 2 busy boys and I just love the camera. Can anyone recommend a nice starter digital camera? I was looking at nikon d5000 and people seem to like it , is there anything better or is that a good start?

9. brave21wr

brave21wr TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thread Jack ftl...

10. supraman215

supraman215 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have a friend in Milford NH, beautiful area. Welcome!