New to Photography (Canon XSI)

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by lancehill, Feb 1, 2010.

1. lancehill

lancehill TPF Noob!

Hey guys,

I am new to the DSLR realm and just got a Canon Rebel XSI with the 18-55IS Kit lens from a fellow forum member.

I was wondering if there are any certain filters or other things you would recommend for this cam/lens. I am also getting a 70-200 from my uncle next time I make it back home so I have a lens with a little more reach.

Looking forward to learning more and really getting into this!

Thanks for all your help.

-Lance

2. kcmo al

kcmo al TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    The only filter I routinely use is a circular polarizer. You don't say which 70-200 but the 18-55 will have a smaller filter diameter than either of the 70-200s. Once you know which one, buy the filter for the 70-200 and a step up ring so you can use the filter on both lenses. Don't buy a cheap filter. Good ones are quite expensive but well worth the investment. The 18-55 if 58mm (I think) and the f/4.0 is 67mm and the f/2.8 is 77mm.
    Next look at flash units. That'll give you a very flexible setup.

3. erhard

erhard TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Above all, get a UV filter for each and every lens you will own, if nothing else, it will protect your precious 'glass'. Hoya is a very good and reliable brand.
    And as the previous reply suggested, a good quality polarising filter will go a long way.

4. soze

soze TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd say don't bother for the kit lens. I bought a Circular Polarizer, ND4, and ND8 for that lens, but I ended up buying a better lens, so those 58mm filters just sat in the bag. Unless you're sure that you're going to stick with that lens or if you're going to be getting other 58mm lenses.... I would just wait until you upgrade your lens before starting to get filters.

5. kcmo al

kcmo al TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You'll get a 50-50 split on whether a uv filter is necessary or not...I'm in the not camp. And general consensus is that Hoya filters are not top of the line. The problem with cheap filters is that they are another piece of glass that can introduce flare and aberrations which degrade the image. As for the 58mm issue, that's why I recommended a step up ring for the CP. Top of the line filters are B+W and Heliopan, both German Schott glass. They are expensive, but if are getting a lens as fine as the 70-200, you do not want to compromise it by going cheap with filters.