New to photography: Is this a good choice?

mdc017

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've decided to get started in photography. I've always loved taking pictures and admiring the work of others, but I've never been serious about photography.

I'm here to ask if a future purchase I'm planning will be a good one. I'm planning on buying the following items: (I plan to do 35mm film)

1) Nikon N80
2) Nikon 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G AF lens
3) Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF lens
4) Plustek opticfilm 7200

I figured I would get a negative scanner so I can just send the film out for negatives instead of prints and save some cash. They'll also go straight to my computer which is a huge plus too.

I'm basically asking for you guy's opinions on my choices. Chances are you know more than me and can help me out a bit.

I'd also like to know what kind of B&W and color film is the best. Especially for concert situations.

Thanks.

Hello there. That sounds like a very good set-up. The 28-80mm and 70-300mm will cover a lot of situations and will be better than a single lens covering all that range. The N80 is a very good body, and at the moment the prices of film cameras has dropped a lot. Here second-hand N80s are going for around £100 and you should be able to find one somewhere around $100-150. Similarly those lenses can probably be bought used in good condition for a good price, so don't feel like you have to either buy new or buy a 'package' (they aren't always as good value as they seem). As for getting a film scanner, good idea and consider that if you decide to develop your own black & white film you won't have to send anything out and will have more control. I believe the Plustek had some good reviews; you might also want to look at the film-scanning flatbeds from Canon or Epson but the Plustek being a dedicated film scanner probably does a better job.

thanks for that info. I'm getting factory demos of the n80 and both lenses for $329. it's an excellent deal to me.

and the plustek scanner is fairly cheap too. it's less than $200 new. that suprised me. most other digitizing scanners are in the hundreds to thousands of dollars. it's got a 7200dpi which will allow me quite a bit of detail.

any advice on my film questions?

"Concert situations" I imagine will be low available light. IMO that means either use Kodak or Ilford ISO 3200 black & white film, or use an ISO 400 black & white film, set the camera to treat it as ISO 1600 and then ask the folks developing it to 'push' it to ISO 1600. Without a tripod you will need that high sensitivity (even with a tripod you will probably need it to avoid just capturing blurred movement). To be honest for this sort of situation I would also consider looking at a faster (larger maximum aperture) lens, something like a 50mm f/1.8.

For more general uses, standard Fuji or Kodak colour negative film would be good to start with; as for black and white try various Ilford, Fuji, Kodak or Agfa films and see what you like.

ZaphodB is right about the 50mm f1.8D. It's about $!00 new and will be one of the sharpest lenses you'll have for a while. Doing shows is a struggle with exposure from the word go!

For color, i would use a Fugi with the 4 color layers (400,800) and depending how dark it is push it 1 or even 1 1/2 stops. Be sure to tell whom ever is developing what you've done. They'll charge you a buck or two more but 1600/3200 speed film is expensive and a biatch to keep from fogging. Fugi's 4th layer film is also color balanced very well too so you don't have to worry about daylight or tungsten lighting or what ever.

I don't shoot b/w any more because every thing goes into digital and I just turn it into b/w there. (I really don't shoot much film any more either)

mike

Most reactions

Back